HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » gop candidates in close r...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:15 PM

gop candidates in close races disavow rape remark

(amazing that this article is even at that particular site, since they are clearly teabaggers, given the coverage I have been seeing the last few months)

GOP candidates in close races disavow rape remark

WASHINGTON (AP) Just as Mitt Romney and other Republicans had cut into the Democrats' advantage with female voters, a tea party-backed Senate candidate's ****awkward*** (try offensive and obscene) remark that if rape leads to pregnancy it's "something God intended" has propelled the emotional issue of abortion back to the political forefront. It's put GOP candidates in tight races, from the presidential candidate on down, on the defensive.
. . . . . .

"I've got a wife and two daughters and six granddaughters," he said in an interview. "Anything dealing with rape against women is uncalled for. Period. No tolerance whatsoever." Mourdock's debate comment recalled GOP Senate candidate Todd Akin's remark in August about rape and pregnancy. The Missouri congressman said women's bodies have ways of preventing pregnancy in cases of "legitimate rape." Republicans, led by Romney, called for Akin to abandon the race, but he refused and is pressing ahead against Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill.
. . . .

Democrats, who have pushed the narrative of a Republican "war on women," eagerly made Mourdock's comment an issue for Romney and Senate GOP candidates. The Democrats are increasingly hopeful that they can hold their slim Senate advantage despite defending 23 seats to the GOP's 10.

. . . .
At a news conference Wednesday, the state treasurer stood by his statement but suggested he had been misunderstood. "I think that God can see beauty in every life," Mourdock said. "Certainly, I did not intend to suggest that God wants rape, that God pushes people to rape, that God wants to support or condone evil in any way." (and yet, that is exactly what you said, you gutless woman-hating sob)

. . .

http://www.mail.com/news/politics/1652710-gop-candidates-close-races-disavow-rape-remark.html#.23140-stage-hero1-4

1 replies, 346 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply gop candidates in close races disavow rape remark (Original post)
niyad Oct 2012 OP
courseofhistory Oct 2012 #1

Response to niyad (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:19 PM

1. Oh, goodie--only those in close races? Says it all! n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread