HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Frank Luntz got paid by c...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:36 PM

Frank Luntz got paid by conservatives to test an anti-Obama film with lurid stories about his mother

Spinmeister Frank Luntz got paid by conservatives to test an anti-Obama film with lurid stories about his mother

BY JOAN WALSH

The official pollster of Fox News, Frank Luntz, is the man who renamed the estate tax the “death tax” and told Republicans to lie and call healthcare reform a “government takeover” of the medical system. It turns out he’s also the guy who tested anti-Obama films, including one that features nude photos of President Obama’s mother and depicts her as a prostitute, for a shadowy GOP donor. Now DVDs of the scurrilous film, “Dreams from My Real Father,” are finding their way into mailboxes in swing states.

Luntz won’t say who commissioned his anti-Obama focus group, and he reportedly counseled his client to go with a milder anti-Obama film by conservative Stephen K. Bannon. That’s showing up on cable television stations in swing states soon. Another film screened was Dinesh D’Souza’s fantasy “Obama: 2016,” which Luntz said didn’t test well with voters.

But the lurid anti-Obama film is showing up mailboxes in Ohio and Florida. It purports that Obama’s real father is the leftist Frank Marshall Davis, and it claims to have found photos of Ann Dunham in bondage magazines. It’s the creation of Joel Gilbert, reports Jeremy Peters in the New York Times, a conservative who has claimed he found Elvis Presley alive in a witness protection program and that Paul McCartney is actually dead. Gilbert wouldn’t disclose the donors behind his film and its distribution though he claimed he was sending out four million copies. He taunted Peters for being part of a mainstream media that hasn’t adequately vetted Obama, saying “I hope you’re not angry or jealous that I beat you to it and might win the Pulitzer Prize.”

Luntz claimed his client had doubts about the political wisdom of backing the Gilbert film, and that their approach to Luntz’s work was “I want to know if it’s as bad as I think it is.” Still, the idea that the Fox News consultant is part of testing the most lurid anti-Obama messages in a season full of them is kind of appalling. But it shouldn’t be surprising.

more:
http://www.salon.com/2012/10/24/stay_classy_frank_luntz/

9 replies, 1177 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Frank Luntz got paid by conservatives to test an anti-Obama film with lurid stories about his mother (Original post)
DonViejo Oct 2012 OP
Enrique Oct 2012 #1
ProudProgressiveNow Oct 2012 #4
grantcart Oct 2012 #6
CoffeeCat Oct 2012 #2
yellowcanine Oct 2012 #3
Coyotl Oct 2012 #5
cui bono Oct 2012 #7
whathehell Oct 2012 #8
LineNew Reply ?
Bigredhunk Oct 2012 #9

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:45 PM

1. Luntz is possibly the most shameless whores anywhere on TV

the idea that he might have refused to be associated with this film is laughable. What like it's going to threaten his integrity?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Enrique (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:54 PM

4. +1

Reply to this post

Response to Enrique (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 05:06 PM

6. is it true that Luntz's mother was a prostitute? thought i heard something

On the internet about it.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:51 PM

2. The film BOMBED in theaters, so they think they have to mail it to people

Oh boy!

The Republican party has become the equivalent of the Weekly World News.

No one wants their tripe. They released this in theaters and barely anyone saw it--just the tea-party extremist psychos.

The media didn't even cover it, because the allegations were so baseless that they bordered on hilarious.

When all else fails, and when they people don't want the snake-oil that you're selling, what do you do? Push the snake-oil into their mailboxes and hope that it elects your guy for President.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:53 PM

3. Wouldn't checking it for accuracy be more important than what a focus group thinks?

Let's see if the propaganda works, huh Frank?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:56 PM

5. They are mailing millions of copies

and it will just backfire. Absurdity is no way to win an election, and it sure will alienate everyone with a mother.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 05:10 PM

7. Wait a minute... Elvis is alive AND Paul McCartney is dead?!?!?!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 05:14 PM

8. Please tell me these bastards can be sued for slandering the president's mother.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 05:39 PM

9. ?

What is this, like the 15th turd movie they've tried to release before the election? None of it's working boys. It's all preaching to the choir. All these people who've "had their eyes opened after voting for The President in '08" are full of shit. The one that Cuban is showing on HDNET Movies, "The Hope & The Change," has interviews with a bunch of these people. Of course it only identifies them by their 1st name, so it's all bullshit. Oh, Dan from Arizona no longer believes in The President. Bullshit.

2016 (Douchesoozle's movie - a Rocky Mountain Films movie) - Has amazing already made its way to On Demand, and is being shown for free by some of the rw hack cable systems
Last Ounce Of Courage (also a Rocky Mountain Films movie)
The Hope & The Change (directed by Stephen Bannon, the guy who gave us the Palin movie, "The Undefeated" - a Citizens United movie)
Occupy Unmasked (the Breitbart movie "exposing" OWS, also directed by Bannon - also a Citizens United movie)
Atlas Shrugged 2

I'm probably missing some.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread