HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Obama wants you to be ner...

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:31 PM

Obama wants you to be nervous

The Obama campaign's biggest fear is for its supporters to become complacent this election. Complacency lowers Democratic turnout and is how Scott Brown won Massachusetts.

Listen to the messaging:

When David Plouffe and Axelrod talk to reporters behind the scenes, they are confident in Obama's chances of winning the election. When Obama sends out messages to its supporters and the public, they are emphasizing how it is going to be a close election to the very end.

The Obama campaign isn't stupid. If they want to push the message that it is inevitable that they will win, they would do it. Instead they want to instill some doubt into their supporters to drive them to the polls.

10 replies, 1159 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama wants you to be nervous (Original post)
gravity Oct 2012 OP
Maximumnegro Oct 2012 #1
leveymg Oct 2012 #2
LisaL Oct 2012 #3
cilla4progress Oct 2012 #4
gravity Oct 2012 #5
LisaL Oct 2012 #8
BlueCaliDem Oct 2012 #6
leveymg Oct 2012 #7
BlueCaliDem Oct 2012 #9
ProudProgressiveNow Oct 2012 #10

Response to gravity (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:34 PM

1. Bingo.

Everybody wins on the close race meme. Although I think it's sad that clearly Dems get complacent at the drop of a hat or good news, but considering how everyone fainted at the first debate and needed smelling salts I guess it makes sense.

All evidence points the race being in the bag. The post-race analysis is going to be reaaaaaal interesting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:34 PM

2. That is correct. So does the R/R campaign, the pollsters, and the MSM for different reasons.

They all have their reasons to make it seem closer than it really is. When all the major players agree to a charade, it becomes real.
But, taken too far -- and we're at the point -- this can backfire on the Democratic campaign and pollsters.

Time to back it off a few turns, and let us get a good night's sleep for a change, at least for a few days.

Thank you - The Base

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:35 PM

3. Well if that's what they want, they succeeded.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:35 PM

4. I wondered if this wasn't some of the strategy

behind Debate #1

Reply to this post

Response to cilla4progress (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:43 PM

5. Obama was too complacent the 1st debate

I doubt that he planned to have such a poor showing. He just thought it was going to be easy then had a serious wake up call.

Reply to this post

Response to gravity (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:50 PM

8. I think he was rusty.

Romney participated in a bunch of primary debates, but it had been a long time since Obama participated in debates.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:45 PM

6. It's disheartening to know that we are in the majority (Progressives, Democrats, Liberals, etc)

yet, for some strange reason, we fail to come out in our impressive numbers during the mid-term and special elections. It's something the AlwaysWrongRight have never failed to do. In fact, they take voting very seriously and they're fanatical about it because they know they're in the minority.

We really need to change that destructive pattern all across this country.

I was deeply disheartened in 2010 when people didn't come out en force to vote for more Democrats, and instead, allowed Republicans to sweep the nation thereby giving President Obama the shellacking he didn't deserve, giving them the power to slow things down, and allowing for State legislatures to institute egregious Voter I.D. laws and other schemes for voter suppression that they're implementing now with fervor in the effort to disenfranchise Democratic voters so they can continue to hold on to power.

We can't let that happen again. We have the numbers. They have the zeal. If we can create that same zeal, we'll be unstoppable.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #6)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:49 PM

7. The biggest difference '08 vs '10 was turnout of young people and traditionally disaffected groups

(poor minorities) who voted in unusually large numbers in '08, but didn't see enough reason to turn-out in the off-year election in '10. That's a group that this campaign should be aiming for, but I'm concerned that they have become disaffected by the Administration's centrist agenda.

Reply to this post

Response to leveymg (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:11 PM

9. I don't believe that was the case.

I can't see the rationality of being disaffected by a perceived centrist agenda and not turn out, knowing that the net-effect will be an ultra-rightwing one once the Republicans regained power. That's stupid and self-defeating. Granted, maybe some have had that self-defeatist attitude, but I believe that many just didn't come out to vote because they're pretty much clueless that there are more elections than just the presidential. At least, that's what I've been able to gather from the people I'm acquainted with. Some didn't even know there was an election!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:14 PM

10. PBO is also aware..

of the numbers in congress. Would be great to take back the house! But we need turnout.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread