HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » WTF?

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:04 AM

WTF?

What's this that CNN is reporting about a White House email reL the Benghazi attack? Righties are talking like this is a smoking gun which proves Obama "played politics" with this terrorist attack? I don't get it. The president called this an "act of terror" the very next day and yet Republicans are still claiming he didn't??

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/24/us/libya-benghazi-e-mails/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

13 replies, 1486 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply WTF? (Original post)
BlueDemKev Oct 2012 OP
Laurian Oct 2012 #1
JiminyJominy Oct 2012 #2
sinkingfeeling Oct 2012 #3
courseofhistory Oct 2012 #4
MSMITH33156 Oct 2012 #5
Amimnoch Oct 2012 #12
JiminyJominy Oct 2012 #6
JiminyJominy Oct 2012 #7
MSMITH33156 Oct 2012 #8
EC Oct 2012 #9
bamacrat Oct 2012 #10
Amimnoch Oct 2012 #11
Amphigouri Oct 2012 #13

Response to BlueDemKev (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:07 AM

1. CNN is especially pissy about this because they were called out

for using the Ambassador's personal diary against the family's wishes.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to BlueDemKev (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:08 AM

2. The Admins

Position is going to be "we said the next day it was a terrorist attack, and we didn't want to give details because we like to be thorough".

However, the media is going to push this story hard. The problem here is that the admin did blame a video and there is no evidence right now that a video had anything to do with it. They need to produce some sort of email or back n forth that shows someone did mention the video may have played a role.

I think this has the potential to become BIG if the admin doesn't get out in front of it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to BlueDemKev (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:12 AM

3. Yes, because we wouldn't want to have anything verified before speaking out. Like, saying

the Oklahoma City bombing was done by Muslims.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to BlueDemKev (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:13 AM

4. CNN just reported

that the WH responded saying the emails were not official intelligence and they wanted to gather more information over time. Also, even IF some group or groups were taking responsiblity, it doesn't preclude the video from being involved in their decision or at least a significant catalyst. This is just continuation of the republicans to build a false meme about not calling it a terrorist attack. I visit several forums that have quite a few cons and no matter what you say or argue to them, they will not let go of the incompetence/cover-up story. I don't think it will affect most people who are open minded however.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to BlueDemKev (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:16 AM

5. This is Media BS

All the e-mail said is that a terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack. There was no way of knowing the accuracy. The group, later, disavowed the claim on facebook.

On top of that, just a few days ago, they data dumped all the intelligence data, and it completely and 100% backed up what the White House had been saying all along. The intelligence community said it was because of the film and related to Egypt protests. This is in black and white, and the media didn't report it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to MSMITH33156 (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:32 AM

12. If I could rec your response alone, I most certainly would! -nt-

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to BlueDemKev (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:19 AM

6. CourseofHistory & MSmith

Good stuff.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to BlueDemKev (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:21 AM

7. As I Said..

Last night, I'm not that closely familiar with all the details of this story but did the terrorist group that first took responsibility then say disavow responsibility?

(I know I'm gonna get hit with this by my pro GOP co-workers today so I need to have my talking points!) : )

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to JiminyJominy (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:23 AM

8. Yes

The e-mails provide additional insight into the Benghazi attack.

The first one, sent at 4:05 p.m. ET, or 10:05 p.m. in Libya, describes a diplomatic mission under attack.

"Approximately 20 armed people fired shots; explosions have been heard as well," the e-mail says. Stevens and four other mission staff are in the compound safe haven, it added.

Less than an hour later at 4:54 p.m. ET, another e-mail reports "firing at the U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi has stopped and the compound has been cleared." It says a search was underway for consulate personnel.

The final e-mail, from 6:07 p.m., notes the claim of responsibility for the attack.

The subject line reads: "Update 2: Ansar al-Sharia Claims Responsibility for Benghazi Attack."

The email says: "Embassy Tripoli reports the group claimed responsibility on Facebook and Twitter and has called for an attack on Embassy Tripoli.

The Facebook claim of involvement was subsequently denied by the group at a news conference in the following days, but not very convincingly.

"We are saluting our people for this zeal in protecting their religion, to grant victory to the prophet," a spokesman for Ansar al-Sharia said at the time. "The response has to be firm."


The titles of these articles are blatant misrepresentations of fact. When you actually read them, they don't say anything.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to BlueDemKev (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:14 AM

9. All they should be saying is that it is an ongoing

investigation and they won't make any assumptions about any other details. Let the professional investigators finish their jobs.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to BlueDemKev (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:22 AM

10. Trying to keep ad dollars flowing.

The puke superPacs will flood them with money if they think they are sensitive to their cause. CNN sucks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to BlueDemKev (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:29 AM

11. It's a stupid assed sensationalist story with no legs, and

like I'd said in another thread earlier, let's theorize the worst:

Say that everything in this "story" is 100% accurate.

Even go on the presumption that President Obama himself had read it, knew about it, had been debriefed on it.

Does it demonstrate a breech of disclosure? NO, personally I appreciate that this president doesn't take the first report he gets, and runs to the public screaming "TERRORISTS". I appreciate that he responds appropriately, and awaits more solid information before approaches the American public with statements. Perhaps if the previous disaster that was in the Whitehouse had done the same, and actually waited for all the information to come in before sending the military into Iraq we could be a few trillion dollars less in debt at this time, and less the 4,287 dead solders, 30,182 wounded soldiers, and somewhere between 109,000 and 119,000 dead Iraqi civilians. (and these are just 2009 numbers, on my quick search I didn't see a more recent update)

So, at the worst, this proves that our President is guilty of waiting until he was sure of the information received before shooting his mouth off about it?? I say GOOD FOR HIM!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to BlueDemKev (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:41 AM

13. The video talk is the problem

Someone needs to fall on their sword over the video comments.

If the admin would come out and say, "It wasn't the fault of our embassy, it wasn't the fault of the state department, it wasn't the fault of some video, it was the fault of terrorists. We will bring these terrorists to justice. They will share the same fate as Osama Bin Laden." Wouldn't that make this go away? We must stop feeding the media trolls by letting this thing fester.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread