HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Mitt's strategists are ve...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:43 AM

Mitt's strategists are very smart - lies work

Those of us who are political junkies know how blatantly rMoney lies and flip-flops. But the vast majority of voters don't follow politics like we do, they just start paying attention at the very end of an election cycle. That is precisely why Mitt's well timed etch-a-sketch flip-flops have worked so well for him.

I was talking to two friends last night and they brought up the election. One of them is a white police officer who told me he hadn't had a raise in 5 years, the other is a college educated black man who works in sales. I was surprised to hear my black friend say he thought he might vote for rMoney, I asked him a few questions about why he felt that way and he recited all of rMoney's positions which have come out in the past week or so. He'd not heard a thing about the right-wing Mitt. I told him about all of Mitt's right wing positions from his pre-etch-a-sketch days, I'm not sure if I changed his mind but I at least gave him something to think about.

Neither one of them was aware how wealthy rMoney is, I pointed out that we only know about approximately $1/4 BILLION of Mitt's wealth, but that he has a good deal more hidden away in offshore accounts which could easily make him a Billionaire. Both of them had heard sound bites of rMoney saying he was going to work for the middle class and that he was going to cut taxes, and that's all they knew of his economic policy. I explained how Mitt's tax plan could never work, and that under it police officers, firefighters, teachers, and all the other important public servants would likely suffer even worse than they already have.

I don't know if I convinced them to vote for President Obama, but I at least could see that they were starting to think about it. But to the point of my post, rMoney has done a very good job of timing his varying stances based on who he needs to reach. Lies often work because it takes time and effort to refute them. Mitt has done a masterful job of spreading his lies, and a good many people who aren't politically well informed are buying them.

10 replies, 949 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to groundloop (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:47 AM

1. ..And people are just dumb

Sadly, it proves the point of why Fox News is critical for the Right. It proves that people are so lazy to find out about the world so they leave it up to tv to know if they should be for or against something -- to love or hate someone.

It's really embarrassing that Romney, who has lied daily by swithcing his positions, is not really a concern by the electorate because they arent told to care. The media is at fault to an extent because the real majority blame is to the general public for just not caring enough to find out the truth.

In many respects then i feel the majority of the public are "special needs" individuals and so it is up to the government to instill laws to require televisjon (and other media outlets) to be required to tell the truth.

If Romney wins, people like to say "America Loses" but in this case "America got what they wanted". So congratz to the winner -- America voted you into office because "i was told you were the best".

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:49 AM

2. They count on the stupidity of the electorate. And they have no scruples.

Which is ironic as Romney is high up in his church...and lacking any morality whatsoever.

Stupid, trusting, people who are so lazy and busy and uninformed that they will listen to the superficial soundbites are coupled with immoral bigfatliars who will do and say anything to win.

The combination won a Bush presidency--twice. Have we learned anything yet?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:51 AM

3. They called it the "Dumbing down of America" for a reason. Not so much lies work but

lies work because too many Americans are too lazy to fact check and lack critical thinking skills and basic curiosity to learn the truth.

Add into the 1%ers Divide and Conquer method and this is what we are seeing and what the GOP has taken advantage of.

At least that's MHO.

Reply to this post

Response to nc4bo (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:58 AM

4. Well, I'm not sure "too lazy to fact check" is fair

You and I have time to know what's going on in politics. My two friends I'd talked to are very busy with their work, attending their kids sporting events, volunteering their time for youth sports, etc. They just don't really have the time to be political junkies, all the "news" they get is what comes across their television while they sit down to eat dinner in the evening. And because of this Faux news is critical to keeping the GOP relevant.

Reply to this post

Response to groundloop (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:05 AM

6. I have friends like this too but have to eke out a living salvaging metals, clipping the toenails

cleaning the houses of older people, cutting grass around the neighborhood, etc.

They can quote every headline of Fox News with their eyes shut. Absolutely NO curiosity and no need to do 3-sides to every story commonsense math.

When me or my husband suggest to check out other channels (hell even CNN) or read one of our local newspapers - they absolutely REFUSE.

I call that lazy. There are many like this. It's always a pleasant surprise to run into those who don't fall into the Fox trap.

Reply to this post

Response to nc4bo (Reply #6)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:18 AM

8. The people I'm talking about aren't Fox addicts, they're truly independent voters

I've given up on trying to be friends with a few people I know who are Fox addicts, I just don't have the patience to talk to them. These folks I was talking to last night are truly good people, and the definition of independent voters. I don't fault them at all, they just don't have the time to worry much about politics. These are the people rMoney's lies are targeting, and who we need to find a way to educate.

Reply to this post

Response to groundloop (Reply #8)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:25 AM

9. Don't Indies tend to either be blue or red leaning?

I guess you'd know if they agree with some of the Democratic Party's platform or not. The few true Independents I know are either Dem leaning or Repub leaning. The Repub. leaning will be looking for all sorts of ways to agree with Romney/Ryan and would more than likely vote for them anyway but definitely not an absolute.

This election, the platform of both parties may help show really clear differences. So try printing them out for them if you have the time and resources. The info's available from both party's websites.

Good Luck groundloop

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:00 AM

5. That's been my whole goal - to get them to THINK!

I've lost 2 'friends' - one I dumped because when he couldn't fight back with facts, he started dragging my family into it. The other one dumped me because he "couldn't stand the filth I was posting on Romney". I'm still ahead because 3 of my friends and one barely an acquaintance (gaming buddy) have started to ask intelligent questions and are actually looking at or reading some of the material. Maybe just the headlines, but it causes them to ask about it. If I can put a speck of doubt in their minds that encourages them to actually look for facts or seek out verification or more info, then I'm happy.

Reply to this post

Response to woodsprite (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:10 AM

7. i have many classmates and friends who drink the fox koolaid.

when i post on facebook, i don't lecture or castigate, i just give them facts. not sure if i've reached anyone but i know i haven't reached the nincompoop who said 'at least we know rmoney's a citizen'. i never thought i had so many rw classmates back in the 60s. boggles my mind.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:43 AM

10. Romney lies when everyone's watching and then sends out the minions...

to "clarify" after everyone's moved on. They know that people have lives and can't spend their time fact checking positions the day after the debate or the big interview etc...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread