HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » David Gergen: I would put...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 03:40 AM

David Gergen: I would put the chances at about 53% for Obama, 47% for Romney

October 23, 2012

Coming off clear, back-to-back victories in the final two debates, President Obama has now shored up his campaign, and -- given what appears to be a superior ground game -- is again an odds-on favorite to win. But Mitt Romney has also accomplished a great deal in these debates and is poised for a possible surprise. Overall, I would put the chances at about 53% for Obama, 47% for Romney.

Obama has proven once more that he is better when behind, in the clutch, looking for a three-point basket. He was too complacent going into the first debate and almost threw away the election. Judging from e-mails and social media, many of his supporters felt he had let them down personally, threatening their ability to get health insurance or other needed benefits. By reasserting himself in the final debates, he restored their faith and energy for the homestretch.

Over the course of the final debates, Obama also cut Romney down to more human size. In their town hall encounter, Obama pummeled him with charges of lying, misleading voters, and pretending to be a moderate.

Monday night, Obama charged repeatedly that Romney had been all over the map on foreign policy. While Romney delivered some effective counterpunches, he no longer looked the way he did in the first debate -- like a man who went into a phone booth and emerged as Superman. By the end of the third night, he looked tired and more like Clark Kent.

More:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/23/opinion/gergen-who-will-win/index.html

8 replies, 1350 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply David Gergen: I would put the chances at about 53% for Obama, 47% for Romney (Original post)
TroyD Oct 2012 OP
Summer Hathaway Oct 2012 #1
TroyD Oct 2012 #2
regnaD kciN Oct 2012 #6
pnwmom Oct 2012 #7
TroyD Oct 2012 #3
regnaD kciN Oct 2012 #4
davidn3600 Oct 2012 #5
Jennicut Oct 2012 #8

Response to TroyD (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 03:44 AM

1. I would put David Gergen's chances

of ever being recognized as someone whose opinion counts at zero.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 03:48 AM

2. I think it's a pretty accurate analysis on the whole

Which is why I posted it.

And it seems on target with what Nate Silver, Intrade and many of us are seeing as well - a close race, but one in which Obama still retains an edge.

Gergen also states that Obama's ground operation may give him the advantage in the last 2 weeks and there's an interesting paragraph where he quotes a Republican operative who acknowledges how much weaker the Romney machine in Ohio is.

Reply to this post

Response to TroyD (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:19 AM

6. Silver has 66.1% to 33.9%...

...which is certainly not "on target" with 53% to 47%. Not even close. (And, while it's a bit hard to read Sam Wang's graph, it looks to me like he has Obama's re-elect odds at somewhere between 75% and 80%. Once again, a pretty huge difference.)

Reply to this post

Response to regnaD kciN (Reply #6)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:31 AM

7. Even better now: 68.1 to 31.9

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 03:55 AM

3. 'major Republican figure' in OHIO: Romney field team looks like 'a high school civics class'

I found this paragraph intriguing.

In the pivotal state of Ohio, for example, the Obama campaign has three times as many offices, often captained by experienced young people. By contrast, a major Republican figure in the state, throwing up his hands, told me that the Romney field team looked like a high school civics class. The Romney team heartily disagrees, of course; we'll just have to wait and see.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 03:58 AM

4. So, 53% = "odds-on favorite"...?

I'd put the chances of Gergen acting like a pompous blowhard at 100%.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:06 AM

5. That's nice. Base the entire country's future on a coin flip

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:54 AM

8. I don't think there is anything wrong with Gergen's anaylsis.

The national polling is all very close, aside from the crap from Rasmussen and Gallup. Certain state polls have a small Obama lean. Obama won the last 2 debates. Obama has the slight advantage.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread