HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Romney: "Syria is Ir...

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 11:02 PM

Romney: "Syria is Iran's path to the sea." WTF?! with map

So, Iran already has many sea ports and no common border with Syria. What was Romney talking about? I googled this and he made the same point many times, but the Washington Post asked his advisers what it was about, but they couldn't get a satisfactory explanation. Here's what they wrote:

"Mitt Romney repeated his contention that Syria is Iran’s route to the sea. This is a puzzling claim, considering that Syria shares no border with Iran — Iraq and Turkey are in the way — and that Iran has about 1,500 miles of coastline along the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman, leading to the Arabian Sea. The Fact Checker column has looked into this before."

"We also checked with other experts, many of whom confessed to being puzzled by Romney’s comments."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/22/fact-check-irans-route-to-the-sea/

OK, DU -- The Washington Post admits that they can't figure out what Romney is talking about here. But, certainly someone here can explain it?

It' not a gaffe, it's a unique Romney insight into geography, right?
"

4 replies, 1408 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Romney: "Syria is Iran's path to the sea." WTF?! with map (Original post)
rivertext Oct 2012 OP
Angry Dragon Oct 2012 #1
geckosfeet Oct 2012 #2
Tx4obama Oct 2012 #3
Monk06 Oct 2012 #4

Response to rivertext (Original post)

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 11:10 PM

1. republican geography

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 11:11 PM

2. The only thing that makes sense to me is that if the Persian Gulf is blockaded,

Iran can ground or air transport to Syria for shipping out of their Mediterranean Sea ports. Also, they can get shipments through that route as well.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 11:14 PM

3. Iran can go thru Iraq and Syria to get to the Mediterranean Sea ...

is what I think he was referring to.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 11:15 PM

4. The answer is obvious. RMoney can see Iran from his house...well one of his houses anyway.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread