HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » * Yawn* - As Predicted Ro...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:07 PM

* Yawn* - As Predicted Romney Wins On Points, But Will Lose - Let Me Explain

Last edited Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:43 PM - Edit history (1)

First, Reagan, Bush I, Bush II all "lost" their first debates as a matter of consensus. Did it matter. Nope.

Second, anyone who was expecting Obama to "beat" Romney in this debate, the question is beat what? Romney is a flip flopper who has been unemployed for years. President Obama is the incumbent with the record. Worse, Romney never defends his positions. He just disowns them. In other words, to attack Romney, you have to waste time explaining what his prior position was. Look at tax cuts! Romney does not even own his own tax plan. In other words, Romney's strategy was to simply disown anything that sound negative.

Third, the comments that you see are all stylistic. Romney was the agressor. Of course he is. He is the challenger attacking someone with a record. President Obama was trying to hold on to an eal.

Fourth, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, Romney's problem is trust. While Romney's slipperiness makes him a tough debate opponent (remember Romney moving to the RIGHT of Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich on immigration), the bottom line is that this same trait makes people distrust him. While Romney may have "won" on points (as I predicted in a thead that I will link below), the problem is that Romney did so by disowning his own positions on tax cuts no less.

So, at the end of the day, you know what you have with President Obama and where he stands. But with Romney, I think even his supporters are even more confused. Worse, do you "trust" Romney if he "won" by abandoning his positions.

Nonetheless, the media types will hyperventilate, but the debate really does not change squat. Romney will get a deadcat bounce as predicted by Nate Silver, but the debate can't fix Romney's core problem, which is that his underlying message sucks and people don't trust him.

11 replies, 1427 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply * Yawn* - As Predicted Romney Wins On Points, But Will Lose - Let Me Explain (Original post)
TomCADem Oct 2012 OP
TomCADem Oct 2012 #1
ejbr Oct 2012 #2
TomCADem Oct 2012 #5
Proud Liberal Dem Oct 2012 #3
Splinter Cell Oct 2012 #4
mojo2012 Oct 2012 #6
Iris Oct 2012 #7
kestrel91316 Oct 2012 #10
RBInMaine Oct 2012 #8
Exen Trik Oct 2012 #9
TomCADem Oct 2012 #11

Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:08 PM

1. And Here Is My Thread Predicting That Romney Could Win On "Points"

By embracing his inner dickishness no less...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1251111366

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:09 PM

2. Bush II lost his election, not his selection n/t

Reply to this post

Response to ejbr (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:20 PM

5. True, Bush I did lose...

Last edited Thu Oct 4, 2012, 01:17 AM - Edit history (1)

...But mainly due to economy coupled with No New Taxes Pledge that he broke, which caused him to have no friends. The debate did not change the dynamic of that race.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:12 PM

3. I wonder what the teabaggers are saying right now

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if President Obama was taken off guard by Romney's suddenly shifting positions. He sounded "moderate" during the debate, not "severely conservative" like he has been during this entire campaign.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:15 PM

4. Yup.

Nicely put.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:22 PM

6. No one can be prepared

No one can be prepared when you don't know which direction Romney will go. Once again, Romney was willing to yet more flip flops and lies. He's banking on no one knowing the many contradictions he's already made.
I will be curious to see how his base reacts.

Reply to this post

Response to mojo2012 (Reply #6)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:25 PM

7. Yeah. He hasn't heard of the Internets yet

Reply to this post

Response to Iris (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:33 PM

10. He's a True Believing Mormon. They are discouraged from using the

internet for anything other than accessing LDS info on the LDS websites.

Oh, and for proselytizing.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:25 PM

8. Yup, and now TeamObama will put out ads SLAMMING his latest LIES and FLIPS.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:32 PM

9. I wanted to see more on calling out the BS

Specifically the I want to see obstruction to be clearly and loudly explained so that the whole country knows why things aren't getting done. There is a reason people have such a low opinion of congress, I want to see that hung around the neck of Romney and every other house and senate race in the country.

I know Obama can beat Romney like this, but there is so much more at stake than only that. Romney has done enough damage downticket to put the house in play and we need to compound on it.

Reply to this post

Response to Exen Trik (Reply #9)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:38 PM

11. Yes, That Would Be Satisfying, I Agree, But The Point Of An Election...

...By both candidates should be to present the people with a choice. Romney scored points, which he can celebrate, but he did so by muddying the water on his own agenda and making it even more obscure, which I frankly did not think was possible.

So, just for my edification, I would like President Obama to score points on Romney, but he didn't and I am fine with that.

Let me put it this way. At the end of the debate, I still know who President Obama is. As for Romney, I am even more confused by his contradictions and concerned by them. It was great stylistically, but at the end of the day, what is Romney going to do?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread