HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » So, why do Republicans ha...

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:12 PM

So, why do Republicans hate Obama?

The growing antagonism of the super-wealthy toward Obama can seem mystifying, since Obama has served the rich quite well. His Administration supported the seven-hundred-billion-dollar TARP rescue package for Wall Street, and resisted calls from the Nobel Prize winners Joseph Stiglitz and Paul Krugman, and others on the left, to nationalize the big banks in exchange for that largesse. At the end of September, the S. & P. 500, the benchmark U.S. stock index, had rebounded to just 6.9 per cent below its all-time pre-crisis high, on October 9, 2007. The economists Emmanuel Saez and Thomas Piketty have found that ninety-three per cent of the gains during the 2009-10 recovery went to the top one per cent of earners. Those seated around the table at dinner with Al Gore had done even better: the top 0.01 per cent captured thirty-seven per cent of the total recovery pie, with a rebound in their incomes of more than twenty per cent, which amounted to an additional $4.2 million each.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/10/08/121008fa_fact_freeland#ixzz284mtr2F6

37 replies, 5830 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 37 replies Author Time Post
Reply So, why do Republicans hate Obama? (Original post)
GulleyJimson Oct 2012 OP
TexasTowelie Oct 2012 #1
GulleyJimson Oct 2012 #2
Freedomofspeech Oct 2012 #3
liberal N proud Oct 2012 #4
cr8tvlde Oct 2012 #5
patrice Oct 2012 #10
malibea Oct 2012 #14
Cosmocat Oct 2012 #15
DCBob Oct 2012 #28
Cosmocat Oct 2012 #34
babylonsister Oct 2012 #27
Dulcinea Oct 2012 #37
zipplewrath Oct 2012 #6
patrice Oct 2012 #7
Kteachums Oct 2012 #8
GulleyJimson Oct 2012 #9
PlanetBev Oct 2012 #11
Cosmocat Oct 2012 #16
CBHagman Oct 2012 #31
nolabels Oct 2012 #35
ruffburr Oct 2012 #12
Liberal_Stalwart71 Oct 2012 #13
Cosmocat Oct 2012 #18
Liberal_Stalwart71 Oct 2012 #20
Cosmocat Oct 2012 #24
MFM008 Oct 2012 #17
apnu Oct 2012 #19
pnwmom Oct 2012 #21
CheapShotArtist Oct 2012 #22
treestar Oct 2012 #23
EmeraldCityGrl Oct 2012 #25
2on2u Oct 2012 #26
Special Prosciuto Oct 2012 #29
WeekendWarrior Oct 2012 #30
alcibiades_mystery Oct 2012 #32
MrSlayer Oct 2012 #33
JHB Oct 2012 #36

Response to GulleyJimson (Original post)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:16 PM

1. A. The top 1% only received 93% of the gains in the 2009-2010 recovery.

The greedy bastards wanted it all.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:16 PM

2. reading this crap about the super-rich

makes me want to hire Martin Blank.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:18 PM

3. They hate him because...

He is a brilliant black man.

Reply to this post

Response to Freedomofspeech (Reply #3)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:21 PM

4. And the nail meets the hammer

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:29 PM

5. With a very cool wife and two great daughters ... all a warm and loving family.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:43 PM

10. THAT scares the hell out of them, which they are then quite willing to preach to others.

He was REALLY only supposed to be their fall-guy and, despite some mis-steps, he turned out to be too smart.

Yeah, it's a gamble for us too, but what calls itself "the Left" needs to get more honest about why/how all of this is going down this, i.e. not their, way, or they'll lose whatever footing they think they're gaining by promoting paranoia and hate for Obama. Authentic centrism is not the absolute evil they seem to want people to think it is. If it were, why is the Right engaged in a death-struggle with it?

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 04:01 PM

14. Absolutely brilliant.

You said it exactly correct. There is nothing that they can do -or say- to nuffily with this brilliant black man, in spite of everything they have tried so far, so they resent and hate him. It merely shows low small their little brains are! You would think that they would appreciate someone with some intelligence, but I imagine that would de-legitimitize their "superiority". That's enough to make them "sick as a dog"-typical! If they are not the master, no one else can be. Reeks of jealousy also!

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 04:23 PM

15. If Barrack Obama was a Republican they would LOVE him

this whole election would be cast as how Barrack Obama SAVED AMERICA FROM THE SECOND GREAT DEPRESSION and THE MAN WHO GOT OBL, he would be on the verge of a 49 state land slide election victory and the debate would be full on about what president would get carved off Mt Rushmore to get his mug on it.

Reply to this post

Response to Cosmocat (Reply #15)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 07:25 PM

28. No doubt.. and that does not mean they are not still racist.

It simply means they love the idea of a smart black man thinking like a white man.

Reply to this post

Response to DCBob (Reply #28)

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 06:52 AM

34. They may or may not be "racist" or they may or may not "race bait"

But, that is not why the hate him.

They hate him because he is a democrat.

They find every possible reason to rationalize both their undying love for their twits and their deranged hatred of Democrats.

It isn't WHY the hate him.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 06:42 PM

27. Yup, and one who wants to do the right thing, regardless of

whether it will benefit these selfish money men.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 11:42 AM

37. He has more power than they do.

AND...

He's black. There's a LOT of racism out there.

He has a lovely family, not a string of "baby mama" with out-of-wedlock children. In the minds of many Repubs, that's what black folks do.

He makes them painfully aware of their own inadequacies.

Just to name a few.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:30 PM

6. Because he stole all their ideas

And started labeling them "progressive". So they used to like mandates, and now they have to hate them. They used to like tax cuts, and now they have to call them "spending". They cheered for the wars in Afghanistan and for Patreaus and now they can't.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:32 PM

7. Because, with total losses from financial toxicity at $5-700 TRILLION, i.e. unknown AND undefinable,

culling the herd isn't over yet?

And, without Rommunism, passing the buck for the inevitable culling becomes more of a gamble, which it is going to be anyway, so the struggle is about THE ODDS that there'll be a chair (not only for 1%ers, but also for all of those upon whom the 53% depend) at any given point(s) "when the music ends", so I guess it's also about who, domestic and FOREIGN, is calling the tune and what "the music" is.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:32 PM

8. I think they are not the normal Republican Party.

They vote against Obama but, it is because the Teabaggers have taken over. Joe Biden told us they are not the negotiators they once were. It is a different party.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:39 PM

9. Who cares what web site I's got this image from

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:46 PM

11. Bill Clinton summed it up twenty years ago

When asked by a reporter why the Republicans hated him so much, he replied, "Because I Won".

These people have a sense of manifest destiny. Because they're God's Own Party, anyone else who wins is illegitimate. That's what makes them so dangerous.

Reply to this post

Response to PlanetBev (Reply #11)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 04:26 PM

16. This

Spot on.

We will never in our age see a democratic president that party accepts as legitimate, and they will create the frame (s) needed to justify it.

Clinton was a DARN good president, and they had so little on him in regard to actually doing the job, by the end it boiled down to THE INTEGRITY OF THE OFFICE.

Barrack Obama is a devoted and incredible father and husband, but of course, that does not count anymore.

Reply to this post

Response to PlanetBev (Reply #11)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:25 PM

31. And now, of course, the GOP is willing to speak well of Clinton...

...since he is no longer in office. Mind you, they still seem to hate Jimmy Carter, so good for him for keeping around and active. It must annoy the crap out of them.

Anyway, yes, the Republicans will speak well of (or, with real chutzpah, claim the legacy of) any Democrat who is either out of office or dead, preferably both. They like to invoke JFK and Truman, for instance, though I've noticed no affection for FDR and the aforementioned Carter.

Reply to this post

Response to CBHagman (Reply #31)

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 07:14 AM

35. The hate is the most important part of it

They find something different about someone or certain group of people that they can't change or won't change to their liking, then they begin their hate. It feels a void or an empty place in their lives. It's more about a lazy brain that cannot figure out how the rest of the world fits together.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:47 PM

12. It's alot of republicans not just the wealthy-

I recently got some e-mails from a one time friend just bashing obama i sent the required reply thus a once was friend,Anyway the deal is the old whites in power thing is coming to an end and they are freaking out so the only rallying point they have is get the nigger out of the white house, Pretty sick but there you have it, Just look at old Mitch hollering about making Obama a 1 term Pres. They are all scared shitless of losing their control over the political directions of this country and the average republican on the street has been convinced that their fortunes are tied to republican thinking and policy, I feel bad for their ignorance

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 03:59 PM

13. They'll swear up and down that they aren't racists, but this is about psychological racism.

They are psychologically uncomfortable with a black man who is brilliant--smarter than they--who is the commander in chief. I also believe that there is some psycho-sexual pathology involved as well: Both he and Michelle defy any stereotypes about us black people. These stereotypes they have pushed on us now for decades. Frankly they hate him because he and Michelle are hopelessly in love. They are married with children. Again, they defy the stereotypes often assigned to black men and women. They hate the president and the First Lady because these stereotypes do not apply, hence their attempts to call him every name in the book for racial code: Food Stamp President, provoker of the New Black Panther Party, Welfare President. All these racially-coded and loaded terms leveled at the president and Michelle says it all.

They hate him because he's a Democrat. Sure. But they REALLY hate him because he's a black Democrat who is the President of these United States.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #13)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 04:37 PM

18. They adore Condi Rice

When he was willing to sell out and carry their water they loved Colin Powell. They like Allen West just fine, Hermain Cain is a blathering idiot and they gave him a go as their flavor of the week presidential nominee. Clarence Thomas is just fine in their books.

Yes, they race bait, and they cull people who tend to be racist into their big tent of dipsticks.

A lot of them might enjoy or believe the stuff they say and do.

But, they hate Barrack Obama because he is a democrat. If he was willing to dance to their music, they would love him and frame him A LOT differently.

People forget just how much they hated Clinton and how he got treated in the 90s.

Which of the last two democratic presidents do this clowns honestly believe was a drug dealer and had someone killed. It wasn't the black one.

Racism and predjudice are just low hanging fruit they willing use in their deranged need to take down a democratic president.

Reply to this post

Response to Cosmocat (Reply #18)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 05:07 PM

20. I do believe you're right. The fact that the people you named aren't Democrats is important

Why? Because they use these people to undercut any charge of racism.

They hate Obama because he's a Democrat. And their hatred of ALL Democrats run deep.

However, they hate Obama MORE because he's a black Democrat who's in charge!

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #20)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 05:45 PM

24. Maybe

they hate him more, I guess it is subjective.

I was younger and niave during the 90s. I just assumed the big dog had appeal to pretty much everyone. I was always totally befuddled with the UNIVERSAL hatred of Clinton that republicans had. Same tone I get from the people who hate BO now.

darn right, though, that if you are a michael steele and willing to be that cat, it is a nice gig being the tokens they allow out. It is a nice niche gig.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 04:34 PM

17. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

because hes darker than them....

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 04:45 PM

19. Paranoia.

I know and work with quite a few rich conservatives. I fix their computers which gives me intimate knowledge of the data they store on those computers. And the data they pass around (links, email, that sort of thing) is highly paranoid.

They subsist on a diet of paranoia brought on by their information outlets which are, increasingly, Glenn Beck, Matt Drudge, Brietbart.com and Fox NEWS and email chain letters, to name a few. They exclude, almost totally, normal news and information outlets. They consider things from AP, Bloomberg, NYTimes, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and even the WSJ with suspicion. They live in an alternate media consumption reality that keeps them terrified of everything "outside" while patting them on the back like mother saying "there there, I'll take care of you" The alternate info sources give them a warm cozy place to "be themselves" When it actually heightens their fear and cultivates a persecution complex. They circulate, endlessly the same debunked and flatly false emails that any simple Google search will dispel but they trust it as fact because the source of the email is one of their buddies. This further isolates them from the mainstream. They shun new or different ideas or perspectives and react with hostility to any idea that challenges their pre-conceived notions.

This is, really, no different from what cult leaders do. These people are prisoners in their own minds. Its sad really. I pity them.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 05:17 PM

21. A) Because if he succeeded he would make Bush and the GOP look that much worse

B) A significant number of them are racists, deep down inside

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 05:20 PM

22. They all dislike him because...

He's neither a conservative nor a Republican. The more affluent Republicans don't like him because he wants to raise taxes on the 1% and enact more regulations for corporations and Wall Street. The poorer ones dislike him for a wider variety of reasons. In addition to still believing in the trickle-down myth, I think their disdain for him could be the result of his race, it could be because they still believe the RW myth about him "taking away our freedoms" and wanting to restrict gun rights, some still believe he's a Muslim, and they think he wants to redistribute money to people who they feel don't deserve it.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 05:26 PM

23. Maybe he didn't serve them quite well

If they see it that way, they are probably right.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 06:28 PM

25. I don't pretend for a moment to know what makes

these people tick. I believe they want to privatize everything
in this country and that's often what they mean by "smaller government."
They have cash hoarded and ready to spend at the "Great American Rummage
Sale." yet, Obama wants to reinvest in America. He wants to bring our
infrastructure, education, industry into the 21st century with their tax dollars.
Tax dollars they have been underpaying for years and have afforded them the
huge bulk of the pie. Willard and his Associates have all the corporate infrastructure
behind him to allow this to happen as soon as he takes office. He will do to this
country what he has been doing in the corporate world his entire career.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 06:29 PM

26. "Gee why couldn't we do all that".... envy. n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 08:16 PM

29. Stats & Figures mean bullshit

The New Yorker is not quite a bastion of conservatism, but nevertheless a haunt of the rich & famous. I see overwhelming hypocracy in this Christia Freeland's screed.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 09:38 PM

30. Because in their minds, he's "the help" and should only been seen when needed nt

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:40 PM

32. Their tax entitlements are going away and they know it

They managed to blackmail Obama in return for DADT and unemployment extension, but that's not going to happen again. As of January 1, they're back to 37%. Fuck 'em with a stick.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:50 PM

33. Because he isn't taking the country far right fast enough.

It was the same with Clinton. Once Reagan won and then Poppy afterward they thought it would go their way all the time. So they derided Clinton something terrible for putting the brakes on a bit. We still went to the right but not fast enough. He interrupted the neo-con agenda. They had to get the ball back rolling through the coup of 2000 and then 9/11. Obama is braking the agenda again and they hate it and thus they hate him. We'll have moved right again before he's done but not far enough, fast enough for them.

The fact that he's black only matters to the idiot base, the people that really matter use it but don't really care about anything but the policy and the money.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 08:33 AM

36. Because their role model is Veruca Salt

And I don't mean the singer.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread