HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Sponsor Of Pennsylvania V...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Sep 19, 2012, 10:03 PM

Sponsor Of Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Defends Romney, Says ‘Lazy’ People Also Shouldn’t Vote

Sponsor Of Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Defends Romney, Says ‘Lazy’ People Also Shouldn’t Vote

As Pennsylvania’s strict voter ID law returns to the lower court for reconsideration, its original sponsor, Rep. Daryl Metcalfe (R-PA), told KDKA Radio Wednesday morning that his law will only disenfranchise “lazy” people, like the ones Mitt Romney was talking about in the leaked video of a private fundraiser.

When asked about the voter ID law’s disenfranchisement of the 750,000 Pennsylvanians who cannot get IDs, Metcalfe cited Romney’s offhand dismissal of the 47% of the country who will never “take personal responsibility and care for their lives” as proof that those people don’t deserve the right to vote:

HOST: Are you absolutely convinced…that the methods to implement this law are effective and will in fact make sure no legitimate voter will be disenfranchised?

METCALFE: I don’t believe any legitimate voter that actually wants to exercise that right and takes on the according responsiblity that goes with that right to secure their photo ID will be disenfranchised. As Mitt Romney said, 47% of the people that are living off the public dole, living off their neighbors’ hard work, and we have a lot of people out there that are too lazy to get up and get out there and get the ID they need. If individuals are too lazy, the state can’t fix that.

-snip-

Full article and AUDIO video here: http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/09/19/877981/sponsor-of-pennsylvania-voter-id-law-defends-romney-says-lazy-people-also-shouldnt-vote/

5 replies, 566 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sponsor Of Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Defends Romney, Says ‘Lazy’ People Also Shouldn’t Vote (Original post)
Tx4obama Sep 2012 OP
pinto Sep 2012 #1
LiberalFighter Sep 2012 #2
davidpdx Sep 2012 #3
wildeyed Sep 2012 #4
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #5

Response to Tx4obama (Original post)

Wed Sep 19, 2012, 10:10 PM

1. It just gets more & more blatant, doesn't it?

Geez.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Sep 20, 2012, 01:17 AM

2. I guess he considers the Founding Fathers too lazy because they didn't have a photo ID

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 20, 2012, 07:59 AM

3. If this holds, then after the election someone needs to get all the people who were disinfrachised

and show up at his office demanding an apology. Yeah I know, that would happen when hell freezes over.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 20, 2012, 08:59 AM

4. I have an idea.

Let's make everyone get a separate voter's ID. Every single person of voting age, whether they have a driver's license or not. Then we will see who is lazy. Because plenty of middle and upper middle class voters would not do it. And there would be a huge fuss and political repercussions toward the politicians who made the law. But making non-drivers take a day off and public transportation and whatever else they need to do to arrange their lives to get a pointless piece of plastic and then calling them lazy if they can't or won't is not ok.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 20, 2012, 11:09 AM

5. That's a Metcalfe for "black people". He's a well known racist and homophobe.

18 months ago, he introduced HB 738, the PA equivalent of AZ's SB 1070. He's in like his sixth term or something and pretty much his entire political career has been about making PA stay "white and gay free". I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but he went to college in Kansas and was stationed in Germany, and both have influences that are worth considering.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread