HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Race & Ethnicity » Asian Group (Group) » Asian Fashions past and p...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 04:59 AM

Asian Fashions past and present

7 replies, 3429 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Asian Fashions past and present (Original post)
AsahinaKimi Sep 2012 OP
BlueCollar Sep 2012 #1
Tindalos Sep 2012 #2
AsahinaKimi Sep 2012 #3
Tindalos Sep 2012 #6
starroute Sep 2012 #4
AsahinaKimi Sep 2012 #7
alfredo Sep 2012 #5

Response to AsahinaKimi (Original post)

Sat Sep 15, 2012, 09:35 AM

1. Interesting

When I was deployed to Japan, Korea and Hong Kong in the late seventies and earlier eighties I always marvelled at the diversity amongst the youth.

Thanks for putting this together.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Sep 15, 2012, 11:58 AM

2. I love these fashions.

There's so much variety in Asian styles. It's been a huge influence on my style over the years. I'd love to do Visual Kei but I'm too lazy to pull it off.

Thank you for posting these. Here are a couple of my favourite Japanese street fashion sites.

http://japanesestreets.com/

http://www.style-arena.jp/?langType=en

Reply to this post

Response to AsahinaKimi (Reply #3)

Sun Sep 16, 2012, 03:22 PM

6. Those are new sites to me.

Very nice, thank you. It makes me want to dress better, instead of wearing my lazy Sunday clothes. Maybe I'll have the energy after a cup of coffee or two.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 16, 2012, 11:50 AM

4. And this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11/japanese-cholos_n_1870941.html

Oversized khaki shorts, white knee-high socks, a plaid shirt and the tattoos to match, a signature look for 'cholos' -- Japanese 'cholos.'

The fashion and tendencies behind the Chicano subculture -- originating in the Mexican-American empowerment movement of the 1940s through 1970s, but now often associated with Los Angeles street gangs -- has found a new home in East Asia. Stemming from the “lowrider” car culture popular in Japan , Tumblrs of Japanese 'cholas' and 'cholos' can now be seen around the internet. YouTube videos of Japanese 'cholos' with their arms raised high as they rap next to hopping cars and Japanese 'chola' artists, like MoNa a.k.a Sad Girl, can be heard mixing Spanish, English and Japanese in their music. . . .

But the Japanese affinity for Chicano culture seems to be making its mark in the United States as well, where music labels representing Chicano rappers have recognized the East Asia archipelago as an important market for their artists.

"Japan has been more of an avenue for profit," Jaime Diaz, President and CEO of Urban Kings Music Group told the OC Weekly. "We distribute to stores out there and it has helped us out a lot. Japan will be the first place to buy product from independent artists."

Reply to this post

Response to starroute (Reply #4)

Sun Sep 16, 2012, 11:14 PM

7. Japan has always supported

its own independent artists as well. One of those, I have had the honor to work with on occasions is the "Japan Nite" US concerts. New Japanese bands are chosen to come to the USA and tour various major cities, and when they go back to Japan they suddenly become famous for playing in the States. This kick started Chatmonchy, Red Bacteria Vacuum and My favorite band, JinnyOops.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 16, 2012, 01:50 PM

5. Playing dress up is a lot of fun. The US is too conservative for such "frivolous"

activities. Thank goodness for the gay community. They are unafraid to have fun with clothes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread