HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Race & Ethnicity » Asian Group (Group) » xue hua bing: Taiwanese s...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jul 21, 2012, 09:06 PM

xue hua bing: Taiwanese shaved ice dessert

As you can see in the photo above, the snow ice comes off the blocks in thin, curvy ripples, and they're paired with fresh fruits and fruit purees.

A block of strawberry-flavored ice is being mounted onto a shave ice machine

Pink Lady, a strawberry-flavored shave ice topped with strawberry syrup, strawberry, litchi coco, passion fruit, popping boba and rainbow sprinkles.

Janice Kuo, owner of Snowflake Cafe and Dessert, shaves a block of mango-flavored shaved ice onto a plate at their store in Pleasanton, Calif.

Tropic Mango, a mango-flavored shave ice topped with mango, litchi coco, yogurt popping boba, mango sauce and rainbow sprinkles.

Flavorings such as green tea or chocolate are mixed into a base of milk and water, then frozen into cylindrical blocks that look like giant candles. The blocks are mounted onto an ice shaver, which slices it off in sheets - thin enough that they melt in the mouth, much like cotton candy. It's very low-calorie and low in sugar.

4 replies, 4405 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply xue hua bing: Taiwanese shaved ice dessert (Original post)
AsahinaKimi Jul 2012 OP
RandySF Jul 2012 #1
AsahinaKimi Jul 2012 #2
RandySF Jul 2012 #3
AsahinaKimi Jul 2012 #4

Response to AsahinaKimi (Original post)

Sun Jul 22, 2012, 01:50 AM

1. Where in San Francisco can I find this??

I have not had this since I visited Shanghai in 2003.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RandySF (Reply #1)

Sun Jul 22, 2012, 02:57 AM

2. Here

Fluffy Snow: 1314 Noriega St. (near 20th Avenue), San Francisco; (415) 566-6288.

37 Degrees Dessert Cafe: 1155 Taraval St. (near 21st Avenue), San Francisco; (415) 566-3887.

100% Sweet Cafe: 2512 Clement St. (near 27th Avenue), San Francisco; (415) 221-1628. Also, 3288 Pierce St. (near Central Avenue), Richmond.

Snowflake: 4288 Dublin Blvd., Suite 105 (near Tassajara Road), Dublin; (925) 551-0971. www.snowflakecafedessert.com.

Snowice: 3561 El Camino Real, Suite 99 (near Lawrence Expressway), Santa Clara; (408) 251-1002.

Reply to this post

Response to AsahinaKimi (Reply #2)

Sun Jul 22, 2012, 01:30 PM

3. I'll try Fluffy this week.

Ok, one more food item: I also tried something a friend described as "Hong Kong style iced tea". It looked like regular iced tea, only it had a very strong lemon taste to it. Does that sound familiar to you?

Reply to this post

Response to RandySF (Reply #3)

Sun Jul 22, 2012, 03:00 PM

4. I prefer Thai Tea

Much sweeter. There is also a Chinese tea that is cold, which has little balls of tapioca in them. Bobobli or Bubble tea.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread