HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Race & Ethnicity » Asian Group (Group) » Hiroshima Mon Amour (Engl...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 02:45 PM

Hiroshima Mon Amour (English Subtitles) (warning: Graphic images)

Hiroshima mon amour is an acclaimed 1959 drama film directed by French film director Alain Resnais, with a screenplay by Marguerite Duras. It is the documentation of an intensely personal conversation between a French-Japanese couple about memory and forgetfulness. It was a major catalyst for the Nouvelle Vague (French New Wave), making highly innovative use of miniature flashbacks to create a uniquely nonlinear storyline.
The title literally translates from French to English as 'Hiroshima, My Love', though the film is almost always referred to by its original French title.

Cast:
--------
Emmanuelle Riva as Elle
Eiji Okada as Lui
Bernard Fresson as L'Allemand
Stella Dassas as La Mère
Pierre Barbaud as Le Père

2 replies, 1771 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hiroshima Mon Amour (English Subtitles) (warning: Graphic images) (Original post)
AsahinaKimi Jun 2012 OP
NRaleighLiberal Jun 2012 #1
Art_from_Ark Jul 2012 #2

Response to AsahinaKimi (Original post)

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 02:46 PM

1. just an amazing movie - my wife and I saw it at Film Society at Dartmouth 30 years ago...

and hello, new twitter pal!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to AsahinaKimi (Original post)

Wed Jul 4, 2012, 01:17 AM

2. At 14:25-14:29, there is a glimpse of the old City Hall building

Severely damaged by the atomic bomb, it has been left standing to serve as a reminder of the morning of August 6, 1945.

By the way, a co-worker of mine, who was just a baby at the time, was living just a mile or so from that building when the bomb was dropped. He survived of course, as did his brother, but his sister, who was playing outside, was not so lucky.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread