HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » A quote from Gore Vidal
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 07:09 PM

A quote from Gore Vidal

“The great unmentionable evil at the center of our culture is monotheism. From a barbaric Bronze Age text known as the Old Testament, three anti-human religions have evolved—Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. These are sky-god religions. They are, literally, patriarchal—God is the Omnipotent Father—hence the loathing of women for 2,000 years in those countries afflicted by the sky-god and his earthly male delegates. The sky-god is a jealous god, of course. He requires total obedience from everyone on earth, as he is not just in place for one tribe, but for all creation. Those who would reject him must be converted or killed for their own good. Ultimately, totalitarianism is the only sort of politics that can truly serve the sky-god’s purpose.”

- From Lowell Lecture, Harvard University, April 1992

8 replies, 1625 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply A quote from Gore Vidal (Original post)
sarcasmo Aug 2012 OP
onager Aug 2012 #1
trotsky Aug 2012 #2
onager Aug 2012 #3
2ndAmForComputers Aug 2012 #5
2ndAmForComputers Aug 2012 #4
redqueen Aug 2012 #6
sarcasmo Aug 2012 #7
redqueen Aug 2012 #8

Response to sarcasmo (Original post)

Fri Aug 3, 2012, 01:04 PM

1. Yes, but the Lib'rul Xians will fix that...

Sometimes I just slay myself.

They'll find some kewl, hip ordained gasbag to convene a "Beer & Belief Night" in a local pub. Where they'll be regaled with such blazing Sophisticated Theology as...

"How do we know if we really exist or not?"

WOW! Is it 1969 already? Better stay away from the Brown Acid!

My own answer to that deep philosophical question - go find a very high building and throw yourself off. You'll have plenty of time to figure out if you're real or not before you hit bottom.

And according to the Quantum Woos, you should have time to re-arrange reality before you hit the pavement anyway.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to onager (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 3, 2012, 02:32 PM

2. LOL

I'm sure you get tired of me being your fanboy, but you rock, onager.

Reply to this post

Response to trotsky (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 3, 2012, 04:08 PM

3. This was a nice surprise!

I saw the response and figured my post was getting hidden by one of the easily offended.

Or even worse, the Trinity of the Religion group had followed me over here to kvetch - you know, the Father, Son or Holy Host.

Since you responded, I have to say again how in awe I am of you, GM, skepticscott, and the other A/A'ers who daily go toe-to-toe with the Usual Suspects in that group. It's just incredible. You're like a bunch of Energizer Bunnies with automatic Logic-Weapons.

Reply to this post

Response to onager (Reply #3)

Sat Aug 4, 2012, 07:52 PM

5. Don't you mean "Daughter?"

Reply to this post

Response to trotsky (Reply #2)

Sat Aug 4, 2012, 07:51 PM

4. Make that two fanboys.

Less creepy than one fanboy. One fanboy is stalking.

Reply to this post

Response to sarcasmo (Original post)

Mon Aug 6, 2012, 03:06 PM

6. And another one... from an interview with The Atlantic:

In September, director Roman Polanski was arrested in Switzerland for leaving the U.S. in 1978 before being sentenced to prison for raping a 13-year-old girl at Jack Nicholson’s house in Hollywood. During the time of the original incident, you were working in the industry, and you and Polanski had a common friend in theater critic and producer Kenneth Tynan. So what’s your take on Polanski, this many years later?

I really don’t give a fuck. Look, am I going to sit and weep every time a young hooker feels as though she’s been taken advantage of?

Since we were speaking of the possible and relative damage done by men who ended their beliefs in deities but not their sense of superiority.

Reply to this post

Response to redqueen (Reply #6)

Mon Aug 6, 2012, 04:55 PM

7. What does this have to do with my Gore Vidal post?

Reply to this post

Response to sarcasmo (Reply #7)

Mon Aug 6, 2012, 04:57 PM

8. The explanation is in my post.

Some were claiming they didn't know of any atheist men who believed they were superior to women.

Well, here is one.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread