HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » I think we need a new, Am...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed May 2, 2012, 04:36 PM

I think we need a new, American League of Militant Atheists

Like the one in the USSR - which was essentially a lobbyist group, not a paramilitary organization as the Theiple would have you believe....

6 replies, 1110 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply I think we need a new, American League of Militant Atheists (Original post)
Taverner May 2012 OP
laconicsax May 2012 #1
dmallind May 2012 #2
laconicsax May 2012 #3
dmallind May 2012 #4
laconicsax May 2012 #5
dmallind May 2012 #6

Response to Taverner (Original post)

Wed May 2, 2012, 04:55 PM

1. No, we don't.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to laconicsax (Reply #1)

Wed May 2, 2012, 06:27 PM

2. true, but

We do however, need, atheists who are willing to act in a manner that others would perhaps consider unseemly. Not by actually doing anything unseemly of course, but simply by organizing and letting people know we exist. This would be considered unseemly enough by most. I have little patience for those people who believe that there should be no atheist organizations or that it is somehow cool or ruggedly individualist to refuse to join others working for the same ends. no individual ever did a damn to get a group recognized, to get a group rights, to get a group influence, or to succeed as a voting block in any way. Since the very act of acknowledging our existence is deemed militant, we really do need in a way a league of militant atheists. We do need people who are willing to make waves to annoy people and refuse to shut up, not just on the Internet but in real life in politics and society and in their neighborhood.

Reply to this post

Response to dmallind (Reply #2)

Wed May 2, 2012, 08:42 PM

3. We already have those organizations.

Adding more won't do as much good as concentrating support for those already doing the work.

Reply to this post

Response to laconicsax (Reply #3)

Wed May 2, 2012, 10:46 PM

4. not talking about adding - rather participating. nt

Reply to this post

Response to dmallind (Reply #4)

Wed May 2, 2012, 11:50 PM

5. I read the OP as additive

Reply to this post

Response to laconicsax (Reply #5)

Thu May 3, 2012, 11:30 AM

6. Probably correct to do so

But I can't say I have a strong preference either way really. I was certainly thinking more of using existing groups myself, but if there's a gap in the market for new ones I'm for that too. There are tens of thousands of Christian groups and they get enough influence as a bloc of many components.

There is one argument in favor of the OP as new groups though. I see way too many atheist etc groups spending way too much time on other causes. Usually good causes mind, but not the main purpose. I'm all for equal rights and choice too, but neither IMO should be a big part of atheist groups any more than I expect Act Up to march for church state separation as a group. A purely focused nothing-else-matters nonbeliever group would be a good add. I lack both the charisma and the skills to start one though.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread