HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » American Idol and spiritu...

Wed Feb 19, 2014, 04:41 PM

American Idol and spiritual advisers

Last night on American Idol I was shocked, and a little creeped out, to learn that this season, in addition to voice coaches, fashion experts, choreographers and the like, they've added "spiritual advisers" to the teams coaching the contestants. I suppose I could understand, almost, if this man and wife couple were psychologists and the idea was to help contestants deal with stresses of the competition. I'd still think that a little strange, but spiritual advisers? I've done a little digging today and discovered that, while there's a boatload of certification programs for various types of "counselors" you can pretty much become a non-denominational spiritual adviser just be declaring yourself one. That, though is still not really the point. What I want to know is, is it just me, or does anyone else find this not only inappropriate but downright weird?

8 replies, 689 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply American Idol and spiritual advisers (Original post)
Brainstormy Feb 2014 OP
Mr.Bill Feb 2014 #1
Warpy Feb 2014 #2
Curmudgeoness Feb 2014 #3
onager Feb 2014 #4
Brainstormy Feb 2014 #5
onager Feb 2014 #7
Iggo Feb 2014 #6
LostOne4Ever Feb 2014 #8

Response to Brainstormy (Original post)

Wed Feb 19, 2014, 04:54 PM

1. Back in the 80s

when you introduced someone as your spiritual advisor, it was code for them being your drug dealer.

I don't know how widespread this was, I heard it in the club scene in northern California.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Mr.Bill (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 19, 2014, 06:40 PM

2. In Boston in the late 60s, early 70s, it was your travel agent.

I never heard the west coast euphemism.

I guess they're getting these kids in the contests used to the idea of going broke paying an entourage.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 19, 2014, 07:33 PM

3. I am creeped out too.

But I am also thinking that I might have come up with a way to quit my job......and find a new career. I think that I could enjoy being a spiritual advisor, especially if I don't have to be trained and certified.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 19, 2014, 09:13 PM

4. Memo from the law firm for Religion Inc.

Dear Pastor, Priest, Rabbi, Imam and/or Other Off-brand Religion Clergyperson,

It has come to our attention that a popular television show is offering help from "spiritual advisors."

These spiritual advisors appear to be untrained, unordained and self-proclaimed.

Left alone, these people could do irreparable harm. They might fill people's heads with superstitious nonsense about demon possession, faith healing, snake handling, virgin birth, resurrection after death, etc. etc.

This could set a dangerous precedent and we recommend immediate legal action. As we all know, these subjects are best left to trained professionals.

Faithfully yours,

Other Ways of Knowing LLC, A Legal Corporation

Reply to this post

Response to onager (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 20, 2014, 09:43 AM

5. Other Ways of Knowing LLC (lol)

You should definitely incorporate under that name! A trademark? Or maybe a web page?

Reply to this post

Response to Brainstormy (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 20, 2014, 09:31 PM

7. Ha! May be trademarked already.

By another DU group. Hint, hint - the group name starts with an "R."

"Other ways of knowing" is often used over there as a comparison to regular ways of knowing. Like common sense. Or that awful thing - cold, inhuman materialistic science.

Without science, none of them would be yammering away on this contraption called "the Internet." But that irony seems lost on them.

Reply to this post

Response to onager (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 20, 2014, 01:27 PM

6. Lol.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 21, 2014, 02:46 AM

8. I would sooo love to be one of those advisers

I would dump a ton of existential and moral nihilism on their heads and watch the results

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread