HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » Is God messing with Glenn...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jun 12, 2013, 11:48 AM

Is God messing with Glenn Beck?

After reading about Beck's throat paralysis yesterday I had a brief "Wow, maybe there is a god!" moment. It passed, but it brought me back again to what I consider the most puzzling quality of committed believers. This is the ability to interpret everything positive as evidence of an intervening personal deity while absolving that same deity from anything negative. The mental acrobatics required to do this are sometimes just amazing. How, for example, could Beck NOT interpret this as a sign from god telling him to STFU?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/11/glenn-becks-vocal-cords-temporarily-paralyzed-tearful-monologue-cue-cards_n_3421174.html?ir=Politics&ref=topbar

BTW: about a year ago Beck announced he had macular degeneration and would probably be blind in a year. Whatever.

2 replies, 860 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Is God messing with Glenn Beck? (Original post)
Brainstormy Jun 2013 OP
Curmudgeoness Jun 2013 #1
Arugula Latte Jul 2013 #2

Response to Brainstormy (Original post)

Wed Jun 12, 2013, 07:05 PM

1. Bwahahahaha.

How true......how could that not be a "sign from God" to STFU?!?!?!?

Very good point.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Brainstormy (Original post)

Sun Jul 7, 2013, 02:15 AM

2. That "all-glory/no-blame to Gawd" mindset drives me nuts.

Wolf "Dumbass" Blitzer asking the woman whose town was just destroyed by a tornado if she was "thanking the Lord" was a prime example of that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread