HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » The Atheist Conundrum (Pa...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:56 PM

The Atheist Conundrum (Part 2)

If you have not read The Atheist Conundrum (Part 1), it would be helpful to do so before getting to this post.

Many people, recognising my vast experience in knowing the un-knowable, have asked me, "What is this thing the we call 'God'? Is God a "What?" or a "Who?"

Until we name it, 'God' is curiously sex-less - rather like Lady GaGa, Margaret Thatcher, Mitt Romney or the actor Nicholas Cage.

There are many names which are used for that which we think of as 'God'.
To the Jewish scholars and followers of the Abrahamic religions it is YHWH, the Tetragrammaton, or Elohim ('God') or Adonai ('Lord') often latinized as Jehovah. To the Muslim, it is Allah; to the Mormon - Galactica, The Lord of Kobol; to the proud Fremen warrior of Arrakis - Muad'Dib; in the hot, flat lands of Klatch - Offler the Crocodile God. Blind Io, The Great Om, Ur-Gilash, Yog-Sothoth, Shemhamphorasch, Odin, The Mighty Thor, Shiva, the destroyer of Worlds, Zeus... - the list seems endless. We Progressive Thinkers, refusing to be hidebound by the conventions and codes of conventional nomenclature, simply call it J, or Jay (although I understand that our colleagues in the Southern States prefer Jay-Bob).

Those of my followers who are of a perspicacious disposition will have noticed two common denominators among these names: 1) they are all esoteric and 2) they are all masculine. The reason for the former is easy to fathom; if you're going to invent a scary, omnipotent super-being, you'd better give it an impressive-sounding name. For example, nobody was ever persuaded to hand over a tenth of their income to a god called Ralph.

The reason for the latter is just as simple. 'God' is a 'He' because if you want to keep women where you might think they belong - in the kitchen, in the bedroom and, preferably, a respectful three paces behind you when you swagger down the street - you need to threaten them constantly with a petty, jealous, vicious, capricious, testosterone-fuelled, misogynistic, greedy, violent, bloodthirsty, psychopathic bully. This works even more effectively with children.

It occurs to me that I may have over-estimated your ability to follow the convoluted thought processes of my razor-sharp intellect. I am, alas, a Blur of very little humility and I had thought that I was explaining the secrets of the unknowable reality of things in language so simple that even Bill O'Reilly could understand it. So, then, to make it even simpler: When the essential knowing that is the substance of all experience is overlooked, we label experience 'self,' 'body,' mind' and 'world.' However, when the reality of all experience is clearly seen to be made only of seamless, intimate knowing, the insideness of the self and the outsideness of objects, others and the world collapse. This collapse or dissolution of 'self' and 'other,' of subject and object, is the experience of beauty and love.

Or - as the great Liverpudlian mystic Sri Dr. Winston O'Boogie put it - "God is a concept by which we measure our pain...The Dream is Over."

I think you'll agree that, really, it couldn't be expressed any more clearly.

The famous atheist Sir Arthur C. Clarke in his 1953 treatise on this very subject, "The Nine Billion Names of God", documents the activities of a sect of Tibetan monks who seek to list all of the Names of 'God', since they believe the Universe was created in order to note all the Names of 'God' and once this naming is completed, 'God' will bring the Universe to an end.

(I myself only know 8,999,999,999 of the Names of'God' or, if I'm in the UK, 8,999,999,999,999. I used to think that I knew them all but have since discovered, after close discussion with a respected Talmudic scholar, that "Grumpy" is not an accepted part of the official canon. I have never written them all down - as the great Roman epigrammatist Flatulus The Cautious wrote, "is est melior futurus tutus quam rumex", after all).

Now, as a rational person, you might think that creating a universe out of nothing just so that some beings that you've created will eventually be able to list your 9 billion names is a pretty sad, insecure thing to do. Doesn't He have access to a computer, or some Supreme Cosmic Photocopy Machine? Why would He even need one? Can't He remember His own name(s)? Even a Scientologist can do that!

"Ah," you say, "But Clarke's work is just a story, it's not a history book!" Maybe so but the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible - which, I am often told, is a history book - states, "But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him." (John 4:23) and "...what doth the Lord thy God require of thee, but to fear the Lord thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul" (Deuteronomy 10:12-13). 'God' itself says, "everyone…. whom I created for my glory" (Isaiah 43.7).

If 'God' created us for its glory, this means that our chief purpose in life is to glorify 'God'.
That's all we're here for? I mean, Wow! - needy, or what?
Well, I don't know about you but I have other stuff I need to do and grovelling doesn't get the bills paid. Well, not at anything below, say, bishop-level, anyway.

Remember the Golden Rule:
Religion is Myth-Information.
Atheism is Myth-Understood.

A third lecture will discuss the development of financial institutions rich and powerful enough to become sovereign states from this concept of 'God'.

I welcome your comments provided that they follow the rather rigid guidelines outlined previously. And, that they don't upset me and make me run away.

20 replies, 1318 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Atheist Conundrum (Part 2) (Original post)
mr blur Feb 2013 OP
Curmudgeoness Feb 2013 #1
mr blur Feb 2013 #5
Curmudgeoness Feb 2013 #8
trotsky Feb 2013 #2
EvolveOrConvolve Feb 2013 #3
mr blur Feb 2013 #6
Phillip McCleod Feb 2013 #4
mr blur Feb 2013 #7
nonoyes Feb 2013 #9
mr blur Feb 2013 #10
cleanhippie Feb 2013 #11
mr blur Feb 2013 #12
onager Feb 2013 #15
mr blur Feb 2013 #16
dimbear Feb 2013 #17
Evoman Feb 2013 #13
mr blur Feb 2013 #14
Heddi Feb 2013 #18
mr blur Feb 2013 #19
nonoyes Feb 2013 #20

Response to mr blur (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 08:41 PM

1. You're wrong.

Now that I have your attention, you must be told that we are not asking you "what is this thing called god?" You see, we don't really care (or more precisely and cruder, we don't give a rat's ass).

But I am impressed that you are aware of Sir Dr. Winston O'Boogie. I thought I was the only one who read his works.

You have me hooked though, waiting for the next edition. I hope that you list all these sovereign states since you dropped the ball on listing all the names of "god". Will Mississippi be on the list? I can't wait to find out.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:12 AM

5. "Wrong"? How could this be? However, I am impressed that you are familiar with Dr. Winston's work -

for did he not say, "Reality leaves a lot to the imagination" and “Living is Easy with Eyes Closed.” and “The more real you get the more unreal the world gets.”?

You raise an interesting point - it may be that you and I have much to discuss to your benefit. However, I fear that it wouldn't work because I wouldn't listen.

Reply to this post

Response to mr blur (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:10 PM

8. Hey

You crack me up. I have no doubt that any discussion would be to my benefit....I am sure I have much to learn from you, Master Blur.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:46 PM

2. ...

I don't know how you do it but please don't stop.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:50 PM

3. Dude, I think I just shit myself!

Reply to this post

Response to EvolveOrConvolve (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:18 AM

6. Well done! Do not panic for it is written,

"In my Father's house there are many bathrooms".

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:24 AM

4. perfect!

Reply to this post

Response to Phillip McCleod (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:25 AM

7. Modesty would prevent me from agreeing with you.

Fortunately, I don't have any.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:58 PM

9. Don't post here at all, but have been reading religion and this site for weeks

I love this thread, looking forward to part 3 or 4 or 5 or whatever.

I get it. As most of the religious folks who read here do too, I'm sure they see these posts, even tho they never comment here.

Reply to this post

Response to nonoyes (Reply #9)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 06:49 AM

10. You are wise. I can work with religious folks.

Provided that they keep quiet about their beliefs. Nobody likes a bigot.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 12:08 PM

11. Repost. This. In. Religion.

Great job, mr blur, great job!

You need to post this in religion.

Reply to this post

Response to cleanhippie (Reply #11)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 02:25 PM

12. You make an interesting suggestion, but you have not thought this through -

For it is written in the Holy Babble (KJV):

"Do not mock His Opinion, for He will call down the wrath of the Hosts on High upon you and you will be banned forever from His sight.

Thus will your voice be heard crying in the wilderness, "Woe is me! I must miss out on matters of great amusement and daily reports of the latest activities of the Godless will be denied to me. I cannot partake of the nourishing Word Salad of Woo and must exist on the bitter herbs of reality for all of my days."

(Consequences 6. 1-2)

Reply to this post

Response to mr blur (Reply #12)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 08:32 PM

15. And don't forget the Holy Trinity...

The Father, The Son-in-Law, and the Holy (G)Host.

Reply to this post

Response to onager (Reply #15)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 05:21 AM

16. Significant statement!

Reply to this post

Response to mr blur (Reply #12)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:50 PM

17. G of Consequences.........

There actually is a. Gospel of TRuth among the apocryphal. Balance and symmetry require a GOspel of Consequences.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 07:45 PM

13. You semi-stole my schtik. But you do it so much better!

*clap clap*

Reply to this post

Response to Evoman (Reply #13)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:50 AM

14. It is possible that you have read one of the authoritative books that bear my name,

for I have not always spent my time and energy on the interwebs, attempting to change the world one obscure forum at a time.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:55 PM

18. I notice the OP has ignored his strongest critics

When can we expect to see part 3, or is this another one of your bloviate and run posts?

Reply to this post

Response to Heddi (Reply #18)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 05:47 AM

19. Perceptive post!

As I have stated many times, I am always happy to discuss anything with people who agree with me, or have no idea what I'm talking about but are happy to be patronized.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 08:57 AM

20. Still looking forward to Part the Third !

The first two were very enlightening. Thank you!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread