HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » The Best of Sam Harris
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 05:21 PM

The Best of Sam Harris

4 replies, 850 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Best of Sam Harris (Original post)
FredisDead Feb 2013 OP
Tobin S. Feb 2013 #1
FiveGoodMen Feb 2013 #2
ScottLand Feb 2013 #3
Rob H. Feb 2013 #4

Response to FredisDead (Original post)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 05:49 PM

1. That was very good and well worth the view.

Thanks for posting it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 07:44 PM

2. Thanks for posting!

I wish I could get ANYONE I knew to listen to that and think about it seriously.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 08:16 AM

3. Just heard more wisdom in that 15 minutes than in the first 40 years of my life.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 02:46 PM

4. The whole thing was excellent, and the last ~13 seconds were especially true

Regardless of one's other qualities, it's nigh-impossible to get elected in this country if you don't believe in some sort of higher power or, more specifically, supreme being. That shows that it isn't just a conservative problem, as a lot of liberal religious people would have everyone believe.

The even crazier part is when they're asked something like, "Was GW Bush a Christian?" a lot of them say, "No, if he were a Christian we wouldn't have gone to war in Iraq." Excuse me? He goes to church, reads the same bible and believes in the same god you do. You don't get to pull 'No True Scotsman' just because he makes you lot look bad, anymore than any liberal atheist with an ounce of integrity gets to claim that Hitchens wasn't really an atheist because no real atheist would have pushed for war with Iraq.

A lot of liberal believers (at least on this board) certainly are quick to claim sole credit for every single good thing that's happened throughout history, though. The hypocrisy is staggering.

Edited to add: Also, witness the hypocrisy surrounding Paul Ryan--the left and right both tried to claim that because he read and was a fan of Ayn Rand he was actually a "secret atheist," rather than a self-centered, selfish asshole who is also religious. "Oh, no! He's an awful person who's a fan of Ayn Rand and is also a devout Catholic? Impossible! ATHEIST! ATHEIST! ATHEIST!" ad nauseam into infinity.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread