HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » Atheist activist Michael ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:29 AM

Atheist activist Michael Deanhardt dead at 76

A sad local news story - one of the most militant (and happy!) atheists in South Carolina died this week. (This is where I'm visiting for Xmas.)

If you read the news story, note that the City Council tried a lame version of Pascal's Wager on Mr. Deanhardt.

As his health failed at the Rainey Hospice House, some people urged him to give his heart to God. He quipped that it was not his heart, but his liver, that needed the help...

Members of the Ku Klux Klan threw a stick of dynamite into a ditch in his front yard, abandoning at the last minute a plan to throw the dynamite into his home. At school, his son was beaten and his daughter teased for playing with black children.

But Deanhardt never gave in.

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2012/dec/19/andersons-most-prayed-for-man-activist-atheist/

I "met" Mr. Deanhardt in the local editorial pages several times, when I was back here visiting thru the years. He would write letters denouncing, say, the mixing of Church and State. And I would write letters agreeing with him.

0 replies, 539 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread