HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » IF god actually existed, ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 01:23 PM

IF god actually existed, I would hate him and fight him with every fiber of my being

Part genocidal maniac, part thought police.

Treats thinking about breaking a rule as bad as actually breaking the rule.

Kills his own son in an effort to prove he is always right.

Horrible at science, math and geography.

Horrible designer.

Cruel, vicious, and jealous.

Would rather a man have his daughters raped than have him have gay sex.

Afterlife a celestial North Korea, except you can't even die.

Says he loves us, but perfectly happy to torture us for infinity.

--------------------

Good thing god doesn't exist, or I'd have some serious work on my hands...

22 replies, 3199 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply IF god actually existed, I would hate him and fight him with every fiber of my being (Original post)
Taverner Nov 2012 OP
rrneck Nov 2012 #1
dimbear Nov 2012 #2
Curmudgeoness Nov 2012 #3
Odin2005 Nov 2012 #7
sakabatou Nov 2012 #4
Bradical79 Nov 2012 #5
Taverner Nov 2012 #6
sakabatou Nov 2012 #14
AlbertCat Nov 2012 #18
sakabatou Nov 2012 #21
ElboRuum Nov 2012 #8
uriel1972 Nov 2012 #9
ElboRuum Nov 2012 #11
dimbear Nov 2012 #12
AlbertCat Nov 2012 #19
ElboRuum Nov 2012 #20
Laochtine Nov 2012 #10
Iggo Nov 2012 #13
Arugula Latte Nov 2012 #15
intaglio Nov 2012 #16
Dash87 Nov 2012 #17
backscatter712 Dec 2012 #22

Response to Taverner (Original post)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 01:38 PM

1. From one of my favorite movies...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 07:53 PM

2. Don't forget tendency to punish innocent third parties for the sins of others.

Fave of mine.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 08:51 PM

3. My favorite---afterlife a celestial North Korea, except you can't even die!

I have always said that I do not want to go to heaven if it will be full of all these bigoted and egotistical fundies. What a fun time! Socials with Jello salads every day.

Reply to this post

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 09:02 PM

7. I was going to mention that Hitchen's "Celestial NK" quote!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 03:14 AM

4. Thankfully, the FSM will allow the drinking of beer from his volcano among other things

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 02:08 PM

5. If an omnipotent God existed

There would be no need to kill his own son or make any attempt to prove he is always right. God would be able to change your mind with a thought or simply will you out of existence. There would be no need for a being of such power to be angry or jealous as such a being could simply will the universe to suit its desires. If an omnipotent all powerful God did anything the Bible claims he did, it would be for shits and giggles rather than any need to benefit anyone or prove anything. Proof and need are kind of meaningless concepts for a being that has absolute power over everything in existence.

Reply to this post

Response to Bradical79 (Reply #5)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 04:07 PM

6. Well yeah, there's a million reasons why a God can't exist

Especially an omnipotent one

But the question always comes up - if it's THAT important, why would he show his face. No, not some prophet who took too many mushrooms, but from GOD himself.

That alone tells me there can't be one

Reply to this post

Response to Bradical79 (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 04:10 PM

14. And the believer would fire back with "free will" BS

Reply to this post

Response to sakabatou (Reply #14)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 07:47 PM

18. And the believer would fire back with "free will" BS

Well, then, if he's omniscient, how come he didn't know why Adam and Eve weren't naked anymore. I mean, if he's omnipresent, wasn't he THERE?

Reply to this post

Response to AlbertCat (Reply #18)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:01 PM

21. Wouldn't he also know that Adam and Eve were going to eat the fruit as well?

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 10:07 PM

8. If god actually existed...

...I'd ask him to spill the beans on exactly what it is he/she wants.

God's problem isn't existence per se, rather it is complete ambiguity of purpose and directive. Maybe then the faithful could quit falling all over themselves guessing what the hell it is he/she wants and making everyone else pay the price for their copious errors.

Reply to this post

Response to ElboRuum (Reply #8)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:35 AM

9. If you think about it,

If an all powerful all knowing god existed then it could have anything it wanted. It seems it wants ambiguity, suffering and blind worship. I could be wrong, but that's just how it stacks up to me.

Reply to this post

Response to uriel1972 (Reply #9)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:47 PM

11. What does the word "want" even mean?

It's interesting that you should put it that way.

If we think about it, what does the word "want" even mean to a deity that is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent? God shouldn't legitimately want anything, after all to such a being, will is thought, thought is will, ergo, everything that is "wanted" already is.

Such a being cannot BE ambiguous. What IS is the will. What IS is the purpose. Which is why religions have it wrong. God doesn't "want" anything because he/she has no need of the concept. If there is a god, he/she already has presented all of the "wants" as reality. To presume something more may exist is to assume a concept of want, of forward purpose beyond extant reality, which is remarkably impotent for a being which can simply will through thought.

Religion is merely the claim to have "insider knowledge" to the wants of a god. The idea of want is a human concept, not a deific one. Therefore it may be legitimate to argue that religion applies human character to something decidedly more, giving credence to the suspicion that religion does not have divine fiat, rather the divine is an idealized construct of a human view, ergo man creates god in his/her own (best) image.

Religion argues that god is testing us. That he withholds an unambiguous fate for humanity in order to "test" its worthiness, that inscrutability is the province of god and therefore, nothing can be said either way about existence or its purpose, however, religion itself states that it has knowledge of this plan. This makes no sense, if god truly wants humans to be tested as worthy, why did he/she provide a select few with "hints" or "cliff notes" on how to best navigate this test? And why, specifically, do these hints often revolve around not fealty to god but rather fealty to god's secret-keepers on earth? Such people would obviously claim quite a bit of power, would they not?

And that, to me, is the simplest explanation of what "god" wants. God being religion being certain people of authority within religion. Power. Power to control the social order, power to wage righteous war, power to crown kings and enable dictators. Religion is nothing but a power structure and god nothing more than a manufactured means toward that power.

Now that gone about riffing on this topic for a bit, I suppose I should tie this all together somehow.

THIS is why I'd ask god to just end the mystery and just tell people where the goalposts are. In doing so, religion's power over the individually faithful is removed, its spiritual wealth redistributed to the faithful in the form of real, actual knowledge of their existence, and their purpose and role within it. More earthly trouble has been caused routing spiritual rectitude through a select few purporting to know what is unknowable by their own definitions. To spread this information far and wide to all directly would be empowering to the individual, whereas funneling it through a religious power structure is equally disempowering.

Shit.

I don't have enough breadcrumbs to find my way back. Send out a search party.

Reply to this post

Response to ElboRuum (Reply #11)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:03 PM

12. Don't use breadcrumbs because bluejays and crows. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to ElboRuum (Reply #11)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 07:54 PM

19. I don't have enough breadcrumbs to find my way back.

When you do get back... explain what "purpose" means to an omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent god.

Will Italian breadcrumbs work?

Reply to this post

Response to AlbertCat (Reply #19)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 08:11 PM

20. If they're the ones with a pinch of herbs...

...and a hint of garlic, then they should do nicely.

Purpose would be precisely meaningless for the same reason as want would be. A being of infinite will, presence, and knowledge would have unfailing foresight into the future regardless of any concerns of free will, as well as being both spatially and temporally unconstrained. Such a being could fabricate a universe from its beginning to its end, sculpting each moment in between down to the position of each individual quark in zero time.

Purpose is therefore a human construct. It implies that all events have not played out and can be affected in a forward manner based upon the decisions of relevant actors. In the tri-omni god concept, what we think of is purpose is really us riding a preplanned future on rails whose end result is already decided. This negates the concept of free will espoused by religion. Free will is nothing more than the human inability to deterministically see future time in the tri-omni god universe. Interestingly, obviation of free will also obviates responsibility for sin, eliminates chance, and creates static fates.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 09:32 AM

10. He? is a mass murderer

I can't follow a killer

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 12:26 AM

13. If god actually existed...

...evil fuckers couldn't blame their shit on him.

Because he'd kill them, is what I'm saying.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 06:13 PM

15. If it existed, God would be a douchebag asshole.

Oh, but "He" loves us. And wants us to suffer and then die a most likely horrible death.

Hey, God. George Costanza has a message for you:

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 06:23 AM

16. I rather like the "His Dark Materials" trilogy

In that "God," The Authority, has become senile and incompetent and was never "The Creator" in the first place. The successor to The Authority, Metatron is a violent dictator.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 04:37 PM

17. The Bible in itself disproves the existence of a God.

Other elements are just ripped from older stories and folk takes.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 12:56 PM

22. The thing about God is we make him up!

You can pick the sadistic and fucked up parts of the bible and make up an asshole god.

Or you can pick the lovey-dovey parts of the bible and make up a loving god.

Hell, the Bible isn't consistent with itself... because Bronze Age sheepherders, farmers and fishermen made it up.

Of course, I think of God as a cartoon character - he's not real.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread