HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » I'm out of the closet! I ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 10:13 AM

I'm out of the closet! I hate all religion! I haven't been to church since I was 8!

When I hear a politician refer to making a decision based on "what God said to me", I think, why isn't this person in a mental institution with the guy from "Harvey" weaving baskets and making ashtrays?

These people are uniquely disqualified for public office.

8 replies, 964 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply I'm out of the closet! I hate all religion! I haven't been to church since I was 8! (Original post)
AAO Oct 2012 OP
dmallind Oct 2012 #1
AAO Oct 2012 #2
Phillip McCleod Oct 2012 #3
Curmudgeoness Oct 2012 #5
AAO Oct 2012 #7
ScottLand Oct 2012 #4
Curmudgeoness Oct 2012 #6
Mr.Bill Oct 2012 #8

Response to AAO (Original post)

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 10:40 AM

1. Welcome. Religion is fascinating and fun. It is its influence on secular society that is loathsome

The way I see it is like this. It's enjoyable to read (well-written) fantastic novels and stories from fantasy to horror or any melodrama. It's fun to trace the roots of the gothic novel - Otranto, Frankenstein, Northanger, etc. It's interesting to see how the most popular fictional horrors of the day reflect human society and mores, be it insanity, live burial, or Gawd help us sparkly vampire Twinks.

But it would be fucking terrible to live in a world where people acted like that, even if the monsters themselves remained fictional. Imagine living in a world where pale skin and nocturnal habits warranted a stake in the chest, or where your neighbors burned the local old-woman-with-cats (everybody knows one) as a witch. It would be horrible to be surrounded by women who swooned in their peignoirs - whatever they are - every time a rich guy with a foreign accent and long incisors smiled at them, or proles who started a silver-melting spree every time a hairy guy walked into the bar at full moon.

Religion's like that. It's not the stories that are the problem, and the supernatural bits are obviously just as fictional as any Karloff Kreature Feature. It's just that we, at least the US-based we, live in a society where a huge majority of the people a) actually believe it and b) are more than willing to light the (usually but not always metaphorical) flaming torches and pass around the pitchforks.

Enjoy the collective godlessness here. It's something most of us have little chance to experience in real life.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dmallind (Reply #1)

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 02:03 PM

2. I find religion repulsive. Can't stand what it does to peoples heads.

I have nothing but contempt for people that try to thrust religion into politics, at any level, in any form.

I think it's almost time for the Secular Crusades... anyone??

Reply to this post

Response to AAO (Reply #2)

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 03:36 PM

3. secular crusades? is that like atheist church?

a bit of an oxymoron

Reply to this post

Response to Phillip McCleod (Reply #3)

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 06:28 PM

5. Oxymoron or tongue-in-cheek satire?

I like it....it gives a bit of humor to a very serious issue.

Reply to this post

Response to Phillip McCleod (Reply #3)

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 09:06 PM

7. It is an oxymoron, now that you point it out.

Sometimes things don't come out quite like I would like them to. I was just trying to say that secularists need to fight harder than those that fight against us. Religion needs to be out of politics and out of our faces!

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 05:04 PM

4. I'm right with you. Had enough religion for one life.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 06:32 PM

6. Here, here! Welcome to DU and A&A group.

You said a lot in just a few sentences. I couldn't agree more---when I hear about god telling someone something, I cringe.

And I also go crazy over the "all the ills in our country are because we have turned our back on gawd".

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 09:16 PM

8. Imagine a politician saying he was going to pass a bill because it was the Easter Bunny's will.

There is no god. If you don't believe me, ask Santa Claus when he comes down your chimney on Xmas eve.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread