HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » I'm sick of xtians and xt...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Oct 12, 2012, 01:59 AM

I'm sick of xtians and xtianity.

I live in a little town, people have large ancient roman torture devices in front yard with white xmas lights.

No friends. don't do football or church. Am a humanist who studies buddhism & hinduism to keep from going nuts. Met hubby at a large UU church 18 yrs ag0. He studies calculus to keep from going nuts & writes papers on math.

moved here from big city b/c I inherited family home. Can't get friends from city to come see us. Lots of angry white guys here. I don't argue with them. Gave up on the book club b/c of too much right wing politics & talk about Gawd. Tell myself I don't need friends, just do my solitary activities like classical music, art & gardening.

anybody else feel this way?

14 replies, 2100 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply I'm sick of xtians and xtianity. (Original post)
Manifestor_of_Light Oct 2012 OP
Warpy Oct 2012 #1
Angry Dragon Oct 2012 #2
Manifestor_of_Light Oct 2012 #3
Warpy Oct 2012 #7
defacto7 Oct 2012 #4
rrneck Oct 2012 #5
Curmudgeoness Oct 2012 #6
Kennah Oct 2012 #8
progressoid Oct 2012 #9
Arugula Latte Oct 2012 #10
Manifestor_of_Light Oct 2012 #11
AlbertCat Oct 2012 #12
Manifestor_of_Light Oct 2012 #13
sakabatou Oct 2012 #14

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Original post)

Fri Oct 12, 2012, 02:08 AM

1. It's not just the Christians who ASSume everybody else is just like them

I march to the beat of a very different drummer so I've become more and more of a hermit in recent years.

Oh I know and like my neighbors, none of whom bothers with church and all of whom are Democrats. It's just tough having to put up a facade with them when I'd rather be in my house and working with fiber.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Oct 12, 2012, 02:11 AM

2. You have many friends here

I know it is not the same but it will help to keep your sanity

One solution may be to find a large field and surround it with fencing. Seed it with Bibles and invite them all in and lock the gate behind them.............

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 12, 2012, 03:17 AM

3. I have a fence to keep people out.

We put up a brick and metal fence w/an electric gate to keep the moochers out. The economy is dead and country folks have no boundaries.They want to bum beer and cig money, promise to pull weeds and don't show up. Everyone who comes on our property to work on something tears something else up. We put a stop to that.

People here are literally too stupid to do things right & will argue with you. They are ignorant and proud of it.

Reply to this post

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:57 PM

7. I guess I get a better class of street person here

and every single one I've hired has done really nice work.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 12, 2012, 03:50 AM

4. I'm right there with you....

I live in a city that's 65% Mormon and 30% Catholic. The rest are statistical. I spent many years travelling the world in my work, now it's my wife's turn to do the career which brings us here and I'm just a stay at home Dad here in this... this.... hell town.

The other day, I was approached by a Catholic fellow who was belly aching about some thing or another. I said to him, "Well, this really is purgatory you know. We just don't know it." He began to laugh and then abruptly stopped when he saw I was looking him strait in the eye and not laughing. Then he turned a little pale and walked away. Maybe that will stretch his faith imagery a bit.

I'm an Atheist, and I am very interested in Zen Buddhism ideas. I'm quite into cosmology, pipe organs, and just about anything in the garbage that I can make into something artistic or that can be made useful again. This and my kids are what keeps me from loosing it.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 12, 2012, 11:10 AM

5. Lived most of my life in the south

and all that entails. If I had been born in San Fransisco how would my life had been different?

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:56 PM

6. This sounds like small towns everywhere.

And a few good sized cities as well. I find that if I keep away from the subjects of politics and religion with many people, it is easy to be friends with them on other levels. Some friends I have are ambivalent to these subjects, and that helps. If you feel the need to be around other people, keep looking for other opportunities.

When I first moved where I am today, my joke was that there were only two places to meet people here....church or bars. Neither of these were my cup of tea. I actually did go the book club route, and I can say that the group I am in does not discuss these issues unless the book addresses them. In that case, you could skip that book discussion. I also found the humane society full of people who were more interested in other subjects, as was the environmental groups, the outdoor/nature lovers, bird watchers, Master Gardeners, the Art Guild, etc. There is no need to discuss religion or politics with everyone you meet.....and that keeps me sane. I do know that many people I associate with are die-hard right-wingers or Christians, but they also know that I am not. We just don't ever go there since we know that it will serve no purpose. I refuse to be baited into arguments with anyone who is always right and not open to listening to my side.

I hate to think that you are isolated with no friends or acquaintances that you can share other interests with....you just have to avoid the rabid ones and keep the differences out of the conversations sometimes. Keep trying if you want some diversions.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 13, 2012, 12:35 AM

8. Calculus to keep from going nuts?

OK, yeah, I guess I can see that. Calc I was just something of a fog, but I got through it with an A. Calc II made a helluva lot more sense and I got by with a B.

Bike club and sewing club are my escapes. Can't get into any sports watching, not even Tour De France.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 13, 2012, 02:19 PM

9. Former small towner here.

Yeah, I sometimes like the quietness of small towns. But the right wing politics & talk about Gawd is a little overwhelming.

Although I know people that have endured their whole lives in small towns while being liberal and godless. How they do it, I don't know! I guess you have to be able to tune out a lot of shit.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 13, 2012, 02:49 PM

10. Is there anyway you can sell the house and get the hell out of there?

Seriously, it doesn't seem worth it to live your life amongst dumbasses you can't relate to. I always shudder when I drive through small towns and I'm so much happier in a city.

Reply to this post

Response to Arugula Latte (Reply #10)

Sat Oct 13, 2012, 06:32 PM

11. Inherited the house.

Moved out of Houston b/c I could not find a job, couldn't tolerate the general stress and horrendous traffic. Retired.
Only income I have is my renthouse. Property taxes on it are horrible. I live on two acres. Hubby gets SS. It's much cheaper to live here.
Wish I could sell my renthouse b/c it's worth a whole lot on paper.

Reply to this post

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Reply #11)

Mon Oct 15, 2012, 12:15 PM

12. Moved out of Houston

Houston is "the big city"?????

You're joking, right?

I've lived in NC my whole life and there ARE people who share my love of science and art and theatre and actual humor around. Plus I used to go visit friends in NYC and DC all the time, but that's harder and more expensive these days.

But TX seems "worse" than NC.... all that cowboy crap y'know and "we're special! we're TX!" baloney.... but there ARE people somewhere near you you can relate to. They just have either done what you are doing (creating their own world to live in) or are "in the closet". They are there.... somewhere....

Reply to this post

Response to AlbertCat (Reply #12)

Mon Oct 15, 2012, 01:54 PM

13. Houston is the Fourth largest City in the United States.

Behind NYC, Chicago and Los Angeles.

City population: 2,099,451 (4th largest city)
Urban population: 4,944,332 (7th largest urban area)
Metro population: 6,086,538 (5th largest metro area)

I do not understand what you are saying. Houston is NOT "the big city"????

Texas is full of "cowboy crap" and "We're special cuz we used to be a country."

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 15, 2012, 03:50 PM

14. Unfortunately no.

I live in a very progressive city, pretty much all blue. Religion isn't brought up unless you want to talk about it. Most of the talk I hear is everyday stuff or business.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread