HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Atheists & Agnostics (Group) » Young Earth Creationists ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 01:18 PM

Young Earth Creationists Whipsawed By IRS

Forbes:

When I write about some Tax Court decisions, the title ďYou Canít Make This Stuff UpĒ seems to be called for. I donít use it, because it would get old pretty quickly and I canít have that. Speaking of things getting old, that is a behind the scenes question in the recent case of Jo Delia Hovind. She and her husband Kent E Hovind were interested in the age of the earth. Iím not a close student of this so forgive me if I use wikipedia here. Apparently radiometric evidence, whatever that is, puts the age of the earth at 4.54 billion years plus or minus 1 per cent. Scientists. They could be off by as much as 45 million years, by their own account, and they think they having given us an answer. Fortunately we have documentary evidence that narrows the range considerably. There are some issues with translation and the like that create a little bit of uncertainty, but when you add up all the begats in Genesis, you get to about 6,000 years. Might be off by a couple of centuries, but it is a much narrower range.

Six thousand years is a pretty long time, but not nearly enough for evolution to work. Also it means that people and dinosaurs must have been running around at the same time. Well everybody knows that. Donít you remember Fred Flinstoneís pet Dino?

At any rate the Hovinds decided to teach people about this stuff. They started Creation Science Evangelism, a non-denominational ministry, which focused on the distribution of educational material. Then there was Dinosaur Adventure Land

Turns out there is money to made in promoting young earth creationism. The Hovinds became tax paying job creators. Only they had some trouble with the tax paying part. They found a way to formalize not paying taxes:

1 replies, 612 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Young Earth Creationists Whipsawed By IRS (Original post)
brooklynite Oct 2012 OP
rrneck Oct 2012 #1

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 02:06 PM

1. If I put all the ROFL smilies this deserved in my reply

it would crash DU again and piss everybody off. So just create a narrative in your head and multiply this one by as many as you think it needs.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread