HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Memory disk made from sap...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:18 PM

Memory disk made from sapphire could outlast human civilization

We're not really sure what the future is going to be like and sadly we don't have John Connor dropping from the sky to give us any clues. We'll probably need to tell future Earthlings a thing or two, but how do we do we make sure the information remains intact? Sapphires.

That's right sapphire disks engraved with a little platinum for good measure have been proposed as a long-term data storage solution. And by long term, we mean a million years or so.

The disk is made from two thin disks of industrial grade gemstone, about eight inches across. It's estimated a single disk can store 40,000 miniature pages of pictures and/or text before the disks are molecularly fused together. The prototype disks, which cost an estimated $30 thousand to create will be submerged in acid to simulate ageing and test durability.

http://dvice.com/archives/2012/07/million-year-me.php

A Million-Year Hard Disk

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/07/a-million-year-hard-disk.html?ref=hp

4 replies, 2071 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Memory disk made from sapphire could outlast human civilization (Original post)
Mosby Jul 2012 OP
DontTreadOnMe Jul 2012 #1
liberal N proud Jul 2012 #2
Tace Jul 2012 #3
Surya Gayatri Jul 2012 #4

Response to Mosby (Original post)

Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:21 PM

1. Enough storage for Mitt's Tax Returns.. for eternity!

seems like an appropriate first use of the new tech... would really give it some publicity.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:22 PM

2. I need somewhere to preserve my collection of jokes received from friends and family.

Reply to this post

Response to liberal N proud (Reply #2)

Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:36 PM

3. That's Some Important Stuff

I'm not an historian, but from what I understand, your collection of family jokes will be invaluable to people in the future seeking to understand today's culture.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 06:59 AM

4. Thanks for posting, Mosby. Fascinating....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread