HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Whooping cough outbreak i...

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 02:06 PM

Whooping cough outbreak in Boulder

Thanks, antivaxers!

Medical officials are saying that there have been 37 cases of pertussis — whooping cough — reported in my hometown of Boulder so far this year.

We’re not even 100 days into 2012 yet. (Note: Washington State is in the midst of an actual epidemic of pertussis.)

This outbreak might shock you, especially considering Boulder is one of the most educated cities in the United States. But in fact, I’ve been wondering if and when something like this might happen here. Denial of the benefits of vaccination is strong in educated areas, like Boulder or Marin county, California — being educated doesn’t mean you get things right, and in fact can make people believe in their own knowledge even more strongly. They go online and find antivax literature which magnifies their own beliefs.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/04/09/whooping-cough-outbreak-in-boulder

16 replies, 2112 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to pokerfan (Original post)

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 02:08 PM

1. how about that

Seems both places have high radiation counts, too.
]
Or is radiation supposed to be good for what ails you?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 02:08 PM

2. Granola people are the first to follow Wakefield, I'm afraid

and stupidly reject vaccines for themselves and the kiddies because they're "not natural," never mind the manufactured hysteria over autism.

They don't get the fact that "natural" means having at least half your offspring dying before the age of five.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 02:12 PM

4. 90 percent of adults haven't had a pertussis booster.

It's not the 5-10 percent of "granola" kids people should be most concerned about.

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/media/releases/newsreleases-statements-2009/whoopingcoug-adults.html

Reply to this post

Response to mzmolly (Reply #4)

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 02:18 PM

5. I have a doctor's appointment this month. I'm going to ask if I should get a Pertussis booster.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Reply to this post

Response to Ian David (Reply #5)

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 03:02 PM

8. You're welcome.

Tdap, is name of the booster shot designed for adults and older children.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007334.htm

Reply to this post

Response to mzmolly (Reply #4)

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 04:16 PM

11. The adult vaccine has been out only a short time

but yes, I should think expectant mothers (that minority with health insurance) should be required to get it along with anyone who comes into close contact with newborns too young to be immunized.

And yes, that 10% of "granola kids" are a threat to anyone who is vulnerable.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #11)

Sun Apr 22, 2012, 03:30 PM

16. The "granola kids" are not as much of a threat as the 90% of

uninformed, non-vaccinated adults.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 05:09 PM

12. Granola has more sugar than the loaded down sugar cereals.

If you want nutritional, it's called oatmeal.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 02:09 PM

3. About 90 percent of adults are not up to date on pertussis boosters.

Vaccinating a segment of the population (children alone) is not enough to protect infants. This has nothing to do with anti-vaccine literature and everything to do with illogical public health policy.

Reply to this post

Response to mzmolly (Reply #3)

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 02:27 PM

7. yup...i`m not up dated but since i`m on medicare all my shots are free!

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 03:52 PM

9. Of course!

From the article in the OP:

Adults should have a pertussis booster every ten years. I got my TDaP booster a couple of years ago. Just two months earlier, unbeknownst to me at the time, a little girl in Belgium named Lore Darch died from pertussis at the age of 83 days. Her father, Danny, wrote a diary for her as a memorial. Read it if you can. I did, and my heart aches so hard it’s a physical pain.

Like David and Toni McCaffery — who lost their daughter Dana to pertussis — Danny and his wife Katrien have become vocal advocates for vaccination.

If you haven’t had your booster, you should talk to your board-certified doctor and see if you need one as well.

Of course, when the McCaffery's spoke out, the anti-vaccination brigade fought back:

So it was no surprise that they flooded the station with complaints about one-​​sided journalism, “Big Pharma” conspiracies, and misinformation about court cases in the US proving there is a link between vaccination and autism. You can read some of the feedback on the AVN website, published as part of a story called “Channel 7 — one-​​sided reporting.”

http://www.youngausskeptics.com/2009/05/the-anti-vaxers-are-alive-and-well-in-australia/

Reply to this post

Response to pokerfan (Reply #9)

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 04:05 PM

10. It's a good thing we have a newer adult vaccine.

Hopefully, every adult who opines about the dangers of a single un-vaccinated child, will take the time to get vaccinated, stat.

Of course, pediatricians should recommend adult boosters to all new parents as well.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 07:06 PM

13. Thanks for the reminder. I shall have to check on my status.

Reply to this post

Response to GreenPartyVoter (Reply #13)

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 07:53 PM

14. You're most welcome.

I've been reminding people here, since the new adult vaccine became available a few years ago.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 02:22 PM

6. adults make up 27% of whooping cough cases in the usa

the problem with adults it last a lot longer than with children and is usually the first person to infect the family. i know a family that has three kids who are not vaccinated against any disease. since they can not go to public or private schools they are home schooled and are subject to diseases spread by their parents or strangers. i call that child neglect.
i remember when my parents were afraid of the diseases that today are just about gone. today there are far to many adults who never knew the terror of polio,whooping cough,and all those red signs on the door diseases.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 12:32 AM

15. before people were lulled into thinking it was safe to drag babies all over the place

people kept infants inside and only allowed healthy adults and children around them.

Yes, adults should get their tDap boosters, but how will we ever know?

My advice is to keep infants away from unknown people and places. Why do people think it is OK to take infants into public places? I still cannot believe it when I see newborns at the grocery store or at a restaurant. This is what the community is supposed to do for the new parents- protect them and nurture them. Bring meals to them- shop for them, etc.

I think that this new idea- that the entire adult population is infection free is bunk and that new parents need to be told to keep babies away from potential harm; at least until they can get their first shots.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread