HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Watch Leonard Nimoy expla...

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:13 PM

Watch Leonard Nimoy explain NASA's next mission to asteroid belt

From planning epic Mars missions to floating ideas for a space base, NASA is pretty busy these days. Luckily, they have Leonard Nimoy to explain the next big plan—a study of the asteroid belt that could hold the secrets to the genesis of the solar system.

The space agency is right in the middle of the Dawn mission, which sent a spacecraft to the asteroid belt to collect data that could shine a light on how the planets formed in the early days of the solar system.

The craft launched in 2007, but it took four years to finally arrive at the large Vesta asteroid, which it studied for more than a year between 2011-2012. Next up? The spacecraft—NASA's fastest, at 78,000 miles per hour—is headed to the dwarf planet Ceres (which accounts for approximately one-third of the asteroid belt) for more research.

The original Spock himself was kind enough to lend his voice to a new video explaining the project, which gives it that great Star Trek vibe. Plus, it's an excellent example of the cool work taking place in space exploration every day.

http://blastr.com/2013/01/watch-leonard-nimoy-expla.php

2 replies, 925 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Watch Leonard Nimoy explain NASA's next mission to asteroid belt (Original post)
n2doc Jan 2013 OP
Warpy Jan 2013 #1
DhhD Jan 2013 #2

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:22 PM

1. I will always love Nimoy

and I've seen him do things other than Star Trek in summer stock. He's a fine actor. But the reason I love him is this:

&playnext=1&list=PLCt6IFA06-V3_DDvvaOCR77_PfZHFO_20&feature=results_video

He's narrated quite a few things for NASA, I believe.

One thing I'd like to know is who the Carl Sagan soundalike is on the Science Channel's Universe series.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:42 PM

2. First Science Officer Spock, taking us where no man has gone before. Loved it!

Thanks to all the partners with NASA for making the trip possible. Their logos are on the Circle, at the end.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread