HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Hubble’s Heavenly Holiday...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:06 PM

Hubble’s Heavenly Holiday “Ornament”

Planetary nebula NGC 5189 as seen by Hubble’s Wide Field Camera 3. Credit: NASA, ESA, and the Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA)

It may be just a tad too big to hang on your tree but this bright, twisted planetary nebula would make a beautiful holiday ornament… if scaled a bit down to size, of course.

NGC 5189 is a planetary nebula that lies 1,800 light-years away in the southern constellation Musca. The gorgeous image above, acquired by Hubble’s Wide Field Camera 3 on October 8, 2012, shows the glowing streamers of oxygen, sulfur and hydrogen that are being blown far into space from the hot star star at its heart — HD 117622 (at right.)

The expelled gas forms a double structure, with a series of central blue lobes surrounded by a twisted helix of bright streamers, called radial filaments. These filaments are the result of fast-moving material from the star impacting previously expelled, slower-moving gas, which becomes visible due to ionizing radiation.

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/99053/behold-hubbles-heavenly-holiday-ornament/

3 replies, 684 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hubble’s Heavenly Holiday “Ornament” (Original post)
n2doc Dec 2012 OP
TlalocW Dec 2012 #1
FiveGoodMen Dec 2012 #2
sagesnow Dec 2012 #3

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:24 PM

1. Kind of looks like the Grinch's face

Kind of.

TlalocW

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TlalocW (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 05:32 PM

2. Yup, I see that too.

Reply to this post

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:27 AM

3. Funny-but I think it looks like

A koi fish with it's tail curled around to it's side. Anyway, it's an amazing photo. thanks n2doc for posting it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread