HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Sir Patrick Moore, astron...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:29 PM

Sir Patrick Moore, astronomer and broadcaster, dies aged 89 (BBC)

British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has died, aged 89, his friends and colleagues have said.

He "passed away peacefully at 12:25 this afternoon" at his home in Selsey, West Sussex, they said in a statement.

Sir Patrick presented the BBC programme The Sky At Night for over 50 years, making him the longest-running host of the same television show ever.

He wrote dozens of books on astronomy and his research was used by the US and the Russians in their space programmes.

Described by one of his close friends as "fearlessly eccentric", Sir Patrick was notable for his habit of wearing a monocle on screen and his idiosyncratic style.
more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20657939

I had more than a passing interest in astronomy when I was younger ... several of the astronomy books in our public library were by Sir Patrick, and they were all aimed at the amateur astronomer. He may have done more than anybody to encourage young people to take an intertest in astronomy.

2 replies, 498 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sir Patrick Moore, astronomer and broadcaster, dies aged 89 (BBC) (Original post)
eppur_se_muova Dec 2012 OP
Arctic Dave Dec 2012 #1
jsr Dec 2012 #2

Response to eppur_se_muova (Original post)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 02:38 PM

1. He had quite a run.

RIP

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to eppur_se_muova (Original post)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:25 AM

2. R.I.P.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread