HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Be sure to put these even...

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:11 PM

Be sure to put these events on your calendar - possible very bright comets in 2013

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/backyarduniverse/September-2012/Two-bright-comets-to-visit-us-in-2013%E2%80%A6

I am sure this has been posted previously, but it is worth mentioning again....these could be quite spectacular!

"Two bright comets to visit us in 2013…

The amateur astronomy community is buzzing this week after the discovery last Friday of an inbound comet that may put on quite a show next year around Thanksgiving.

It’s named Comet ISON (C/2012S1) and it was discovered late last week by Russian astronomers. The comet is now very distant but it will pass extremely close to the sun on November 28, 2013.

Comet ISON (C/2012S1) has an orbit that is very similar to a spectacular comet that appeared in 1680, frightening folks across Europe and Asia. The 1680 comet was visible during the daytime.

There’s also a second cometary visitor coming next year… a springtime visit by comet Comet Pan-STARRS (C/2011 L4). This comet could be easily visible in our western evening sky around the middle of March 2013."

snip

4 replies, 1601 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Be sure to put these events on your calendar - possible very bright comets in 2013 (Original post)
NRaleighLiberal Dec 2012 OP
femmocrat Dec 2012 #1
tclambert Dec 2012 #2
NRaleighLiberal Dec 2012 #3
N_E_1 for Tennis Dec 2012 #4

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Original post)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:35 PM

1. Thank you, NRL.

Could someone please remind us as these events are closer to happening?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Original post)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 08:03 PM

2. Well, now I know at least two times it will be cloudy here.

It never fails. When there's an interesting astronomical phenomenon to see, we get clouds. Of course, this is Michigan. So cloudy is the norm.

Reply to this post

Response to tclambert (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:40 PM

3. won't be a problem - comets are visible for weeks - they appear pretty stationary in the sky

and only change position slightly each night. If they are as bright as predicted, we will all have ample opportunities to see them!

Reply to this post

Response to tclambert (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:37 AM

4. I'm in Michigan also, I agree.

It's like this rule ....
Wife and I bought snowshoes this year to keep up activity during the winter.
Best insurance for no snow!!!
Wanna see something in the sky, clouds.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread