HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Grand Canyon '64 million ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:22 AM

Grand Canyon '64 million years older than previously thought'

Grand Canyon '64 million years older than previously thought'
New dating methods have shown that the Grand Canyon could be as old as the dinosaurs.
12:57AM GMT 30 Nov 2012

Researchers believe the canyon was probably carved at different times and paces. Photo: REUTERS/Robert Galbraith

Scientists have long argued over the age of the vast canyon, which is more than a mile deep as many as 18 miles wide and 280 miles long.

Most believe it was carved out about five or six million years ago, based on the age of gravel washed downstream by the ancestral Colorado River.

But new dating methods which harness the radioactive decay of uranium showed it is far, far older, according to a study published in the journal Science.

"Our research implies that the Grand Canyon was directly carved to within a few hundred meters of its modern depth by about 70 million years ago," said co-author Rebecca Flowers of the University of Colorado Boulder.

More:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9713127/Grand-Canyon-64-million-years-older-than-previously-thought.html

11 replies, 1856 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Grand Canyon '64 million years older than previously thought' (Original post)
Judi Lynn Nov 2012 OP
madaboutharry Nov 2012 #1
proReality Nov 2012 #2
krispos42 Nov 2012 #3
tblue Nov 2012 #4
bluedigger Nov 2012 #5
ErikJ Nov 2012 #6
montanto Nov 2012 #10
SaveAmerica Nov 2012 #7
DallasNE Nov 2012 #8
jtuck004 Nov 2012 #9
Odin2005 Dec 2012 #11

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:46 AM

1. It makes me dizzy just looking at that photo.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:10 AM

2. Beautiful, but...

You could never get me to walk out on that platform! I feel ill just looking at it.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:20 AM

3. Is there no end to Satan's deceit????

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:29 AM

4. Sure doesn't look it! Hahaha!

Doesn't look a day over 6 million!

Sorry. This is very cool & truly mindblowing.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:43 AM

5. I guess we'll need a few more candles for the birthday cake.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:46 AM

6. The Colorado River reversed course?

They propose that the Colorado flowed from west to east 70 million years ago before the Rocky Mountains rose and then when the Rockies rose 60 million years ago changed the flow from NE to west. Seems unlikely to me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/science/earth/study-sees-older-grand-canyon-stirring-controversy.html

Reply to this post

Response to ErikJ (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:35 PM

10. The geology of the region is really complex.

the sedimentary rock that you see in the walls of the grand canyon were deposited at the bottom of a shallow ancient sea. as the water subsided and the land to the west rose, a river would have flowed from west to east. Later, as the rockies rose east of the canyon, and as that ancient ocean bottom (now the colorado plateau) had also been rising for millions of years (rising still), cutting the first stages of the canyon, the river could have completely reversed its course in its own channel.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:06 AM

7. Get this to Rubio 'Not a Scientist' STAT!!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:14 AM

8. I Have Always Been Amazed By How Really Small

The Colorado River delta is considering the massive amount of erosion that has been carved out by the Colorado River and tributaries. Consider also the arches in Utah and how much erosion happened on those high plains as well. What happened with all of that debris?

Consider too that upstream where the Yampa and Green Rivers join is a large dinosaur bed. Granted, that is probably about 400 miles from the Grand Canyon but unless there was some kind of twisting upheaval it makes sense that the Grand Canyon could be as old as the dinosaurs.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 03:06 AM

9. So the first time I saw the Canyon I was hitching through, stayed at a youth hostel

in Flagstaff, I think. We rented a car and drove up. Took a couple bottles of wine, wrapped them in towels and set them in the tree by the campsite, went hiking, was totally blown away at my first sight of the place.

Later that evening drank the now cool wine by the bonfire.

The youth hostel was great. people (mostly younger) from different countries, mingling and traveling together. I invited them back to Oklahoma, and we stayed in a friends house. Thinking back, was in the days before terrorists, so the Egyptian guy and the one from Saudi didn't scare anyone. The guy from (was it Scandinavia?) went to the laundromat and washed his clothes. Stripped to his underwear to wash what was on his back (raised a couple eyebrows among the patrons). We went to Arby's I think it was, and a couple of them threw the plastic trays away we were served on. (They really thought it was a disposable - everything else was). The women from Switzerland had me take them to a store and we had home made noodles. (funny what you remember). We stayed together a few days, then drifted apart.

I still hear from one or two over the years. Youth hostels are an amazing, completely people-driven, unofficial cultural exchange program. We could do worse for a year between high school and college, or maybe after a year of college, set kids loose to travel for a few months and see who comes back with what.

That was quite a time, but I never would have experienced it if it hadn't been for the draw of that amazing Canyon.

If you have never visited, the pictures don't do it justice.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:13 AM

11. Woah!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread