HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Curiosity Rover Self Port...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 10:03 PM

Curiosity Rover Self Portrait

The Curiosity rover self portrait. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Malin Space Science Systems
OK, we thought the low-resolution self-portrait from yesterday was great… but here’s the real goods: a monster, high-resolution awesome mosaic of 55 images taken by the Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI), showing the rover at its spot in Gale Crater — called Rocknest — with the base of Gale Crater’s 5-kilometer- (3-mile-) high mountain, Aeolis Mons or Mount Sharp, rising in the background. The images were taken on Sol 84 (Oct. 31, 2012), and sent to Earth today. In the foreground, four scoop scars can be seen in the regolith in front of the rover. As we mentioned about the previous MAHLI mosaic, the arm was moved for each of the 55 images, so the arm and the camera doesn’t show up, just like any photographer behind the camera (or their arms) isn’t visible in a photograph.

And in 3-D!

http://www.universetoday.com/98302/the-curiosity-rovers-ultimate-self-portrait/#more-98302

2 replies, 992 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Curiosity Rover Self Portrait (Original post)
n2doc Nov 2012 OP
MADem Nov 2012 #1
madokie Nov 2012 #2

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 10:06 PM

1. I'm in awe that they got the damn thing to Mars at all!

Hell, I can't find a house in the next town without the GPS!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Mon Nov 5, 2012, 09:37 AM

2. Looks like a diamond back rattlesnake on top of it

Tell me it ain't so

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread