HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Jewish Group (Group) » The True Meaning of Hanuk...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 06:25 PM

The True Meaning of Hanukkah

WHEN my brother was in kindergarten, where he was the only Jewish student, a parent organizing enrichment activities asked my mother to tell the class the story of Hanukkah. My mother obligingly brought in a picture book and began to read about foreign conquerors who were not letting Jews in ancient Israel worship freely, even defiling their temple, until a scrappy group led by the Maccabee family overthrew one of the most powerful armies in the world and won their liberty.

The woman was horrified.

The Hanukkah story, she interrupted, was not about war. It was about the miracle of an oil lamp that burned for eight days without replenishing. She urged my mother to close the book. My mother refused.

The woman wasn’t alone. Many Americans, Jews as well as Christians, think that the legend of the long-lasting oil is the root of Hanukkah’s commemoration. And perhaps that mistake is no surprise, given that for many the holiday has morphed into “Christmas for Jews,” echoing the message of peace on earth accompanied by gift giving. In doing so, the holiday’s own message of Jewish survival and faith has been diluted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/08/opinion/hanukkah-unabridged.html

Anyone seen or have thoughts on this piece?

1 replies, 698 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply The True Meaning of Hanukkah (Original post)
oberliner Dec 2012 OP
ellisonz Dec 2012 #1

Response to oberliner (Original post)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 03:37 AM

1. I think it's important to remember that Judaism is a religion of peace...

...there was no choice to be invaded, over and over again. Judaism has persisted in spite of the violence and horror of our species, not because of it. Tired of seeing Israel portrayed as a war society. I think if you asked every soldier in the IDF if they would rather be soldiering or at home living a life of peace to a soul they would choose the latter.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread