HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Jewish Group (Group) » Jews: A religious group, ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 09:24 PM

Jews: A religious group, people or race?

Last edited Sat Aug 25, 2012, 11:38 PM - Edit history (1)

Prof. Harry Ostrer has published a new book that explores the genetic and environmental basis of the Jewish people.

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH
08/26/2012 02:37

As Diaspora Jews increasingly assimilate and intermarry with gentiles, and their Israeli counterparts marry Jews whose forebears came from the four corners of the earth, a window of opportunity to study Jewish genetics is gradually closing.

In another generation or two, it may be possible only to know whether one bears a “Jewish genome” rather than identify the different genetic threads that once bound them together.

http://www.jpost.com/Sci-Tech/Article.aspx?id=282584

Cross-post from the Religion Group. The headline is from the newspaper.

3 replies, 1179 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Jews: A religious group, people or race? (Original post)
rug Aug 2012 OP
meti57b Sep 2012 #1
Warren DeMontague Oct 2012 #2
Meshuga Oct 2012 #3

Response to rug (Original post)

Fri Sep 7, 2012, 07:48 AM

1. Jews are a "tribe".

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 05:07 PM

2. Good question, and one which has been bounced around in my household repeatedly.

Personally, i have a mixed genetic background, i have highly assimilated jews in my family tree who also only marginally self identified, often for professional reasons.. From a philosophical standpoint I am an open minded Atheist who subscribes to elements of Eastern philosophies as well...

But Hitler would have called me a "Jew", for sure.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 11, 2012, 09:59 PM

3. We are a people. Not a race.

A person can become Jewish by joining the Jewish people. In Jewish law, the person is Jewish if born of a Jewish mother (well, Reform Judaism accepts either parent) not because of "Jewish genome."

The idea that "Jewish" is a race was conceived in Germany by Jew haters.

But the Jewish people is a multiracial people that includes Eastern European Jews, Arab Jews, Chinese Jews, Indian Jews, Beta Israel, Jews from the Iberian Peninsula, Latin American Jews, etc.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread