HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Christian Liberals & Progressive People of Faith (Group) » The Important Theological...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:29 PM

The Important Theological Stupidity Of Marco Rubio

Yes, stupidity.

Normally one tries to refrain from this kind of language. Some people do anyway. But I think occasionally you come across an idea that demands to be labeled in these terms. It's a kind of intellectual biohazard sign - A way of loudly and clearly saying, "Do Not Handle."

When I was younger, I remember a discussion in class about when and how the Russians were going to blow us to smithereens. A girl in front piped up with this nugget:

"Jesus won't let nuclear war happen, because then He wouldn't be able to return."

The idea that we didn't have to worry about an arms race getting out of control because the Lord was acting as the final security mechanism on the atomic arsenals of the world - that Jesus had to turn the last, phantom key along with our missile commanders - it was so idiotic I marveled at it like a rare bird. It was in fact the dumbest thing I ever heard. Until last night.

"Of course solar and wind energy should be a part of our energy portfolio," said Marco Rubio, who was by all reports not suffering from oxygen deprivation. "But God also blessed America with abundant coal, oil and natural gas. Instead of wasting more taxpayer money on so-called 'clean energy' companies like Solyndra, letís open up more federal lands for safe and responsible exploration.'"

Let's ignore the fact that this was a sly fist-bump with right wing Christians, many of whom believe that environmentalism goes against God's plan. Rubio's statement was wrong on many levels, and I want to focus.

He attempted to cut through all the complicated issues about what we're doing to the climate, how bad it is, and what we can do to stop it. Instead, he appealed directly to the faith of millions of Americans with a very simple argument: God put that oil and coal there. Therefore He wants us to use it. Therefore using it won't result in anything bad. That was some powerful imbecility right there. And it's important to counteract it on its own terms. So...

READ THE REST
http://paulbibeau.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-important-theological-stupidity-of.html#.URvpihUo4cA

2 replies, 696 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Important Theological Stupidity Of Marco Rubio (Original post)
paulbibeau Feb 2013 OP
indivisibleman Feb 2013 #1
refrescanos Jul 2013 #2

Response to paulbibeau (Original post)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 11:54 PM

1. When Rubio said this I was thinking the same thing.

"right wing Christians, many of whom believe that environmentalism goes against God's plan."
I saw this years ago in the churches I was associated and familiar with and knew that they couldn't be further from the truth. I continue to be a devoted Christian today but left the present day church due to the church's approach to this issue among many others that could not be supported by anyone with sound thinking.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to paulbibeau (Original post)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 12:24 AM

2. to which I would say to Rubio

Like a thief in the night, modo, like a thief in the night.
Don,t know when he'll come...
Better keep the oil in those lamps!

Don't waste it!!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread