HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity (Group) » Newt Gingrich Claims LGBT...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed May 8, 2013, 10:57 AM

Newt Gingrich Claims LGBT Rights Undermine Catholic Rights, Cites Heterosexual-Only Adoption Service

The Huffington Post | By Meredith Bennett-Smith Posted: 05/06/2013 2:45 pm EDT | Updated: 05/06/2013 2:47 pm EDT

It's not uncommon to hear members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) community argue that their rights -- for example their right to marry a member of the same sex -- are being undermined by conservatives. But in a trend that is becoming more and more common, Newt Gingrich used similar language Sunday to complain that the LGBT community is infringing on his rights as a Catholic.

Gingrich, former Speaker of the House and recent Republican presidential candidate, made the controversial comments during a panel discussion Sunday on NBC’s "Meet the Press." Host David Gregory asked Gingrich if he thought a Republican nominee for president could support gay marriage. “I doubt it,” Gingrich replied, adding that society is changing, so the issue remains "up in the air."

“But what I’m struck with is the one-sidedness of the desire for rights,” Gingrich said. “There are no rights for Catholics to have adoption services in Massachusetts; they’re outlawed. There are no rights in D.C. for Catholics to have adoption services; they’re outlawed."

"Does mean that you actually have to affirmatively eliminate any institution which does not automatically accept ?" Gingrich continued.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/06/newt-gingrich-lgbt-catholic-rights-adoption_n_3223704.html?ir=Religion

Nitwit.

2 replies, 443 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Newt Gingrich Claims LGBT Rights Undermine Catholic Rights, Cites Heterosexual-Only Adoption Service (Original post)
rug May 2013 OP
UrbScotty May 2013 #1
Fortinbras Armstrong May 2013 #2

Response to rug (Original post)

Wed May 8, 2013, 01:53 PM

1. Funny - I don't feel like my rights are being undermined.

Nor do I feel like Newt Gingrich is an authoritative voice when it comes to the sanctity of marriage.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rug (Original post)

Thu May 9, 2013, 10:32 AM

2. I agree that the thrice divorced Gingrich is scarcely a good spokesman for marriage

His playing of the victim card is also suspect.

I keep saying that for many conservatives, the statement "I support the right of the individual to do as he or she wants" should be read as "I support the right of the individual to do as he or she wants, as long as he or she is doing something I approve of". To put that more simply, it means "I do not support the right of the individual to do as he or she wants."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread