HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity (Group) » Pope treats tradition wit...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:34 PM

Pope treats tradition with double standard (again)

Jamie Mason wrote this about the double standards when it comes to tradition in the church;

But I had to stop dreaming. Because Benedict XVI, high priest of maintaining tradition at all costs, had determined that the tradition of staying pope until one dies was a cost too great to bear. Benedict, who revived clerical dress from the Middle Ages and reinstituted the 16th-century old Latin Mass, decided that the traditional belief that a pope should never retire was, well, just too medieval.

Many argue that a 1917 code of canon law that allows popes to retire supports Benedict's choice. But as Jesuit Fr. Thomas Reese commented after Benedict's announcement, typically "an extreme health issue is the basis for the move." Documents from the previous papacy show John Paul II interpreted this to mean an incurable disease or other severe impediment to performing his ministry. (Whether he followed his own advice, of course, is another question.)

While we have learned since Feb. 11 that Benedict had a new pacemaker battery installed, has increased difficulty walking long distances, and sustained a bump on the head last year during a nighttime run-in with a bathroom sink, none of this amounts to a grave condition. As octogenarians go, most would say Benedict is in pretty good shape. Yet, the pontiff will go ahead and break almost 600 years of tradition, launching the church into uncharted waters and giving the hierarchy less than three weeks to plot a course.

This will not be the first time Benedict has broken tradition. He did it barely a year ago when he oversaw the development of the new ordinariate for Anglicans seeking refuge in the Roman Catholic church. Facing dwindling numbers of priests and laypeople in the United States and England, Benedict extended an invitation to Anglicans aggrieved at their own church's decision to ordain women and expand its inclusion of gays and lesbians.

3 replies, 580 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pope treats tradition with double standard (again) (Original post)
47of74 Feb 2013 OP
mykpart Feb 2013 #1
goldent Feb 2013 #2
knitter4democracy Feb 2013 #3

Response to 47of74 (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:11 PM

1. No problem with the Pope abdicating.

If he doesn't want to do the job, then I don't want him there either. And who's to say he hasn't prayed about it and asked for guidance from his Maker? I never cared much for him, but now he's just a pathetic old man. Priests get to retire in their 70s. Let the old guy rest. I think sometimes we forget to let God handle things. I worry about the next pope, but I have been praying for the Church, and maybe the conclave will actually be inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 08:07 PM

2. Weak argument

Seems like she is saying this 85 year old man is too healthy to retire because he just doesn't look that bad off.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 09:20 PM

3. Oh, come on. It has nothing to do with his health.

It has everything to do with what he knows about what's been covered up.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread