HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity (Group) » Catholic School Principal...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 03:01 PM

Catholic School Principal fired over marriage equality stance.

It's another article, this time about a Catholic school principal in Ohio, who has been fired because of her support of marriage equality.
http://www.ourdailythread.org/content/catholic-principal-fired-supporting-marriage-equality

I continue not to understand the Church's interference in secular government. Marriage equality is not about sacramental marriage; it's about a secular legal contract that allows two people to file joint tax returns and have insurance coverage for their spouse and own community property. If the Church wants to deny communion to people in same-sex marriages, that is perfectly within her rights as a church. They denied me communion for years because I was divorced and remarried by a JP. No Bishops sought to make divorce and remarriage illegal. If I support the civil (accent on civil) rights of people to enter into a contract, that should not make me a bad Catholic. I am not advocating that the Church endorse same-sex marriage, only that they stay out of government.

4 replies, 732 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Catholic School Principal fired over marriage equality stance. (Original post)
mykpart Feb 2013 OP
knitter4democracy Feb 2013 #1
mykpart Feb 2013 #3
No Vested Interest Feb 2013 #4
rug Feb 2013 #2

Response to mykpart (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 05:35 PM

1. I cannot access the link. Which school? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to knitter4democracy (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 02:26 AM

3. Sorry. Now I can't access the link either.

And I can't find the story on any other site, although the article did reference Catholics United. It was the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, but I don't remember the name of the school, but I believe it is a high school.

Reply to this post

Response to mykpart (Reply #3)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 01:49 PM

4. From today's Cincinnati Enquirer an assistant principal

at Purcell High School is on administrative leave and about to be fired for posting on his blog his support of gay marriage.

I do not know if this is the same person referred to in the article referenced above, because I was unable to access that article.

Reply to this post

Response to mykpart (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:27 PM

2. I agree completely.

There is no other analysis which makes sense.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread