HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity (Group) » Catholic, Reformed church...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 11:10 AM

Catholic, Reformed churches agree on baptism

Adelle M. Banks | Jan 31, 2013

(RNS) Leaders of Catholic and Reformed churches have signed an agreement to recognize each other’s sacraments of baptism, a public step toward unity among groups that are often divided by doctrine.

“Baptism establishes the bond of unity existing among all who are part of Christ’s body and is therefore the sacramental basis for our efforts to move towards visible unity,” reads the “Common Agreement on Mutual Recognition of Baptism.”

The document was signed, after seven years of discussion, at a worship service Tuesday (Jan. 29) at St. Mary Cathedral in Austin, Texas, which opened the annual meeting of Christian Churches Together in the USA, an ecumenical network created in 2001.

Signers represented the Christian Reformed Church in North America, Presbyterian Church (USA), Reformed Church in America, Roman Catholic Church and United Church of Christ.

http://www.religionnews.com/2013/01/31/catholic-reformed-churches-agree-on-baptism/

6 replies, 840 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Catholic, Reformed churches agree on baptism (Original post)
rug Feb 2013 OP
Kingofalldems Feb 2013 #1
demosincebirth Feb 2013 #2
UrbScotty Feb 2013 #3
Brigid Feb 2013 #4
goldent Feb 2013 #5
Fortinbras Armstrong Mar 2013 #6

Response to rug (Original post)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 05:18 PM

1. Huge step in the right direction.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Kingofalldems (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 07:20 PM

2. Yup.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 08:12 PM

3. I live in West Michigan, home to a lot of CRC and RCA communities.

I hope this is received well here!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 08:39 PM

4. I thought that if you were baptized . . .

In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, you were OK. At least, that is what Father Rick said when I talked to him about it while I was in RCIA.

Reply to this post

Response to Brigid (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:19 PM

5. I agree.

I don't know how long it has been this way, but if you join the RCC, I am nearly certain that your protestant baptism is good by us, but I think you would get re-confirmed. It would be interesting to know whether there is a list of "approved" denominations for baptism.

Reply to this post

Response to goldent (Reply #5)

Fri Mar 1, 2013, 08:43 AM

6. I was originally baptized as an Anglican,

but my parents converted to Catholicism shortly afterwards. When it came time for my First Communion, I was given a "conditional baptism", which went "If you are not already baptized, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." This was in the mid-1950s, and would probably not be done now.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread