HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity (Group) » Former rector of nationís...

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:46 PM

Former rector of nationís largest Episcopal church becomes a Catholic

By Greg Garrison| Religion News Service,
Dec 01, 2012 12:03 AM EST

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ó The former rector of the nationís largest Episcopal church has become a Roman Catholic.

The Rev. Larry Gipson was dean of the Cathedral Church of the Advent in Birmingham from 1982-94 and rector at St. Martinís Episcopal Church in Houston, where his parishioners included former President George H.W. Bush and his wife, Barbara, from 1994-2008.

Last month, Gipson was accepted as a Catholic into the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter, a structure set up by Pope Benedict XVI to accept former Anglicans into the Catholic Church.

ďThe nature of authority in the Catholic Church is what attracted me to it,Ē Gipson said. ďAfter I retired, I was concerned and had been for many years about the Episcopal Churchís authority structure.Ē

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/former-rector-of-nations-largest-episcopal-church-becomes-a-catholic/2012/11/30/22e6e180-3b11-11e2-9258-ac7c78d5c680_story.html

4 replies, 865 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Former rector of nationís largest Episcopal church becomes a Catholic (Original post)
rug Nov 2012 OP
hrmjustin Nov 2012 #1
rug Nov 2012 #2
hrmjustin Nov 2012 #3
rug Nov 2012 #4

Response to rug (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:59 PM

1. Do you mean largest church membership, or largest church structure.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hrmjustin (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:01 PM

2. I think it's referring to the parish membership.

The cathedral of Saint John the Divine in NYC is the largest, larger that St. Peter's.

Reply to this post

Response to rug (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:04 PM

3. St john's is my cathedral. Big place my friend.

Processions take forever there. I hope you get to see it if you haven't.

Reply to this post

Response to hrmjustin (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:16 PM

4. Oh I've been there, I grew up in Manhattan.

It's amazing they're still building it.

I remember reading a story about how they set up their own masons' apprentice program and recruited for it locally in Morningside Heights. I think the gist of the story was that, aside from providng jobs to the comunity, they figured it was the surest way to have the stream of skilled labor needed to complete the cathedral.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread