HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity (Group) » In Hero of the Catholic L...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:15 PM

In Hero of the Catholic Left, a Conservative Cardinal Sees a Saint

By SHARON OTTERMAN
Published: November 26, 2012

Dorothy Day is a hero of the Catholic left, a fiery 20th-century social activist who protested war, supported labor strikes and lived voluntarily in poverty as she cared for the needy.

But Day has found a seemingly unlikely champion in New York’s conservative archbishop, Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan, who has breathed new life into an effort to declare the Brooklyn native a saint.

Cardinal Dolan has embraced her cause with striking zeal: speaking on the anniversaries of her birth and death, distributing Dorothy Day prayer cards to parishes and even buying roughly 100 copies of her biography to give out last year as Christmas gifts to civic officials including Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.

This month, at Cardinal Dolan’s recommendation, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops voted unanimously to move forward with her canonization cause, even though, as some of the bishops noted, she had an abortion as a young woman and at one point flirted with joining the Communist Party.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/nyregion/sainthood-for-dorothy-day-has-unexpected-champion-in-cardinal-timothy-dolan.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

5 replies, 970 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply In Hero of the Catholic Left, a Conservative Cardinal Sees a Saint (Original post)
rug Nov 2012 OP
Angry Dragon Nov 2012 #1
Fortinbras Armstrong Nov 2012 #2
Angry Dragon Nov 2012 #3
mykpart Nov 2012 #4
LeftTurnOnly Dec 2012 #5

Response to rug (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:34 PM

1. ...........

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:05 PM

2. What's that supposed to mean?

Dorothy Day would have staunchly opposed many of the things Cardinal Dolan supports.

Reply to this post

Response to Fortinbras Armstrong (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:36 PM

3. Just munching on popcorn to see what others think of this

I am not allowed to post in this forum my true feelings on this post

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:06 PM

4. I support her cause.

"even though, as some of the bishops noted, she had an abortion as a young woman and at one point flirted with joining the Communist Party. "

Her conversion and overcoming her "sinful" past should be part of what qualifies her for sainthood. I have mentioned St. Augustine as precedent in another post.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 03:02 PM

5. I love the Catholic Worker Movement

Wonderful people, truly live the Gospel.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread