HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Astrology, Spirituality & Alternative Healing (Group) » Alternative healing for c...

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 08:17 PM

Alternative healing for cats

I have a diabetic cat. We tried nutrition therapy; sometimes that's enough to get a cat's glucose levels in the good levels. However, that didn't work for my Oliver.

I talked things through with two different vets. Both recommend insulin injections 2x a day; the cost of therapy is about $200 a month. Add follow up vet visits and blood tests for at least a couple of months, we're talking about another $300 or so.

I'm just getting back on my feet after long-term un- or under- employment. I was hoping that someone could recommend a vet who is into alternative therapy, such as acupuncture, tinctures, herbs. Can anyone recommend anyone who does this kind of work? I am in NYC and would travel in the five boroughs to get the treatment.

Positive vibes to help me find the right practitioner also appreciated.

7 replies, 977 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Alternative healing for cats (Original post)
Sanity Claws Dec 2012 OP
NJCher Dec 2012 #1
mysticalchick Dec 2012 #2
LiberalEsto Dec 2012 #3
felix_numinous Dec 2012 #4
Digit Dec 2012 #5
felix_numinous Dec 2012 #6
mysticalchick Dec 2012 #7

Response to Sanity Claws (Original post)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:34 PM

1. heard about this on the radio (WNYC)

Was so happy I could track it down.

The story I heard was about new services being offered in NYC's five boros to help people get the care they need for their pet.

Check this out--there might be some options for you:

http://www.animalalliancenyc.org/yourpet/vetcare.htm

Cher

p.s. years ago I went with a friend to a no-kill animal shelter. She was adopting a cat. I met the most charming cat there whose name was Oliver. I so wish I'd adopted him. I didn't because I have 3 at home. I regret that now.

I still think about him, dear, charming Oliver.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:15 AM

2. Don't know if this will work for you ...

but after some research at the urging of my vet. I put my diabetic cat on grain-free food (Evo, to be exact) and within almost a month, she was off insulin and doing fine. Vet said that often happens when you put them on high protein food. Might be worth a try.

Reply to this post

Response to mysticalchick (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:52 AM

3. I feed my cats Wellness Core, which is also grain-free

but I don't know how it compares to Evo.

One of my kitties was drinking way more water than normal, which seemed like pre-diabetic or diabetic behavior, so I put her on Core and it's definitely made a big difference.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 03:22 PM

4. Thanks for asking this question~

I just got a new kitten and want him to have safe food. I will look for Wellness Core and Evo--hopefully I can find them at regular stores?

Reply to this post

Response to felix_numinous (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:18 PM

5. Check out Amazon

I found all sorts of flavors, in both wet and kibble.

Hopefully you can find what you are looking for there.

Reply to this post

Response to Digit (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:48 PM

6. Oooh thanks I will

I lost a kitty in 2007 that I was sure died because the food was tainted--it was in the news at the time. I don't ever want that to happen again...it's taken me this long to get another kitty.

I will try these

Reply to this post

Response to felix_numinous (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:13 PM

7. Two good pet food options

Petflow.com (often has specials on good quality dog/cat food) and petfoodstation.com - free delivery on both over 49$, good prices and responsive customer service.

You won't find many grain free foods at regular stores - but there are lots of local pet stores (not chain ones) that do stock them and I like to buy local when I can.

Evo
Core wellness grain free
BFF (mostly tuna flavors - one of my cats barfs this up almost instantly and the other one adores it, go figure)

All that grain and filler really does a number on a diabetic cat. Evo really helped extend my cat's life.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread