HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Former Catholic Priest Ma...

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:30 PM

Former Catholic Priest Matthew Fox on Ratzinger, Opus Dei & The Broken Catholic Church

Last edited Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:24 PM - Edit history (1)

Cross post from GD

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Transcript-Former-Catholi-by-Rob-Kall-130220-447.html (Part 1)

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Transcript-Part-II-Former-by-Rob-Kall-130220-919.html (Part 2)

10 replies, 1321 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Former Catholic Priest Matthew Fox on Ratzinger, Opus Dei & The Broken Catholic Church (Original post)
skepticscott Feb 2013 OP
DURHAM D Feb 2013 #1
skepticscott Feb 2013 #2
PM Martin Feb 2013 #3
DURHAM D Feb 2013 #4
skepticscott Feb 2013 #6
DURHAM D Feb 2013 #7
skepticscott Feb 2013 #9
DURHAM D Feb 2013 #10
skepticscott Feb 2013 #5
DURHAM D Feb 2013 #8

Response to skepticscott (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:17 PM

1. This is a very interesting read.

May I suggest that you link to both Part 1 and Part 2.

I saw it earlier today and sent it to a few friends. They don't post on DU and I wanted them to see it. My email inbox has been very busy.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DURHAM D (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:26 PM

2. Done...thanks!

The original link I copied had a problem, it seems. Long, but very interesting.

Reply to this post

Response to skepticscott (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:27 PM

3. What is this all about?

"The governor of Kansas, Brownback, converted from being a Fundamentalist Protestant to being an Opus Dei Catholic, and he ran for President eight years ago, and he's now governor there.

So again, Opus Dei goes where the power is. They're in the CIA, the FBI. The greatest spy in American history, about whom Hollywood did a good movie and an accurate movie called Breach, he gave away more secrets than anyone in American history, got more of our spies murdered - he was Opus Dei, and he hid within the organization for twenty years - he got away with it. Finally they caught him. He's now in jail, but he was Opus Dei.

So, you know, it's a very peculiar organization, and yet they're so influential, especially in the media in this country. People who write sweet books about them, you'll see their face on the media representing Catholic Thought, and interpreting the Vatican. People who write critical books about Opus Dei, you don't see them any place. Their works don't get out there at all."

Just how many of the subversives are in the US government?

Reply to this post

Response to PM Martin (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:37 PM

4. Not just the US.

btw - Something the article did not mention is that the reason the FBI spy (Robert Hanssen) went undetected for so long is that he was in the same Opus Dei chapter as his boss, the Director of the FBI (Louis Freeh). Also in that same chapter - Scalia and Thomas.

I was not surprised when Louis was picked to do the investigation of Penn State re: Sandusky. What a joke. Opus Dei Pedophile Protection Service.

Reply to this post

Response to DURHAM D (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:40 PM

6. Well, Freeh certainly didn't do Sandusky and Penn State any favors

and the Paterno family was up in arms about his report too.

Reply to this post

Response to skepticscott (Reply #6)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:43 PM

7. I doubt we know the half of it.

Reply to this post

Response to DURHAM D (Reply #7)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:04 PM

9. As far as the number of victims

perhaps not, though I think most of the offenders and significant people involved in the cover-up have been exposed.

Reply to this post

Response to skepticscott (Reply #9)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:06 PM

10. The Governor?

Reply to this post

Response to PM Martin (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:38 PM

5. To the extent that there are such people

(And I tend to think that conspiracy theories tend to get overblown), they almost certainly do not think of themselves as subversive. More likely they consider that secular governments not devoted to the Word of God and His Holy Church first and foremost are the subversive forces.

Reply to this post

Response to skepticscott (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:51 PM

8. I remember the first time many years ago that I first heard of Opus Dei.

It was an article about Tom Landry (Coach of the Dallas Cowboys) and Roger Staubach (quarterback for Dallas) who were/are both members. They were trying to convert other ball players. (No pressure there)

The article quoted Roger as saying that the purpose of the organization was to promote good work ethics.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread