HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Did the National Prayer B...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:07 PM

Did the National Prayer Breakfast Create a New Conservative Superstar?

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/sarahposner/6852/did_the_national_prayer_breakfast_create_a_new_conservative_superstar/

February 19, 2013 11:06am
Post by SARAH POSNER

The Atlantic's David Graham has a great assessment of the apparently sudden and meteoric rise of Dr. Ben Carson, the evolution-denying pediatric neurosurgeon and keynote speaker at this year's National Prayer Breakfast:
Carson delivered an opening shot against "political correctness," and then -- after namechecking Tocqueville, recapping his own inspirational life story, and calling for a better education system -- voiced concern about the national debt and argued the case for a flat tax, using the Bible's injunction to tithe a set percentage, and for health-savings accounts, a medical option popular that has gained currency among conservatives. Crucially, he delivered this speech from a podium just feet from President Obama, who of course oversaw the passage of a very different health-care plan and has been a major proponent of progressive taxation.

This, Graham reports, has earned Carson accolades from conservative pundits, and even a Wall Street Journal editorial bearing the headline "Ben Carson for President."

Graham notes what should be obvious, but of course what isn't discussed by conservatives fawning over Carson:
Though many commentaries have tried tiptoe around it, it's impossible to pretend there's no racial dimension involved in a successful black conservative castigating the liberal black president. Black conservatives remain fascinating to Americans of all political persuasions and ethnicities; look no further than Herman Cain's presidential campaign. And in the age of Obama -- when many on the right feel that any criticism of the president is liable to draw undeserved claims of racism -- a champion for the cause who can sidestep that retort is sure to be welcomed. Jonah Goldberg came closest to addressing this question,likening Carson to Booker T. Washington.

Graham also zeroes in on the conservative star-making machinery, and draws interesting comparisons between the rise of Carson and that of Herman Cain.

more at link

14 replies, 1065 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Did the National Prayer Breakfast Create a New Conservative Superstar? (Original post)
cbayer Feb 2013 OP
riverbendviewgal Feb 2013 #1
cbayer Feb 2013 #4
southernyankeebelle Feb 2013 #2
Fantastic Anarchist Feb 2013 #3
cbayer Feb 2013 #6
Fantastic Anarchist Feb 2013 #7
cbayer Feb 2013 #8
southernyankeebelle Feb 2013 #10
Fantastic Anarchist Feb 2013 #11
southernyankeebelle Feb 2013 #12
Fantastic Anarchist Feb 2013 #13
southernyankeebelle Feb 2013 #14
cbayer Feb 2013 #5
southernyankeebelle Feb 2013 #9

Response to cbayer (Original post)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:15 PM

1. The star will descend too

like Herman Cain.

The truth will come out to more people.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:45 PM

4. I could never get past my feeling that Cain was never serious - like a Sacha Baron Cohen

character. This guy seems serious, though.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Original post)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:19 PM

2. I read an article on him a few years back. I think it was him. Is he out of Baltimore?

If this is the guy he has a great story. However, I pray he doesn't get himself involved in politics. That would be sad. He is a great surgeon.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:26 PM

3. A neurosurgeon who denies evolution?

I don't want him operating on me.

Reply to this post

Response to Fantastic Anarchist (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:49 PM

6. While I don't like his politics or religious beliefs, if I had a child who needed neurosurgery,

I would choose him in a heartbeat.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:52 PM

7. I'm not familiar with him; apparently he's good at what he does.

However, I'm sure there are other equally fitting neurosurgeons out there. Neurosurgery is science, and if he denies one aspect of science because it doesn't fit in with his beliefs, that's pause for concern to me.

Reply to this post

Response to Fantastic Anarchist (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:55 PM

8. Neurosurgery is a skill, as well as a science, and he is apparently exquisite at it.

Anyway, I see your point, but he went to Yale, trained at Johns Hopkins and separated the first conjoined twins.

I'm going to guess that his religious beliefs (he's a Seventh Day Adventist, by the way) have not significantly interfered with his medical training.

Reply to this post

Response to Fantastic Anarchist (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:58 PM

10. Well when you go to a surgeon or even a doctor do you normally ask him his

political position and religious beliefs?

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:09 PM

11. No, I don't ...

... but if he volunteers that information unsolicited, then I will make an assessment.

Reply to this post

Response to Fantastic Anarchist (Reply #11)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:18 PM

12. Good. By the way I agree with your assessment of him. I remember once working

with this Colonel and he said he never had a problem with evoluation and religion and that he could separate them. We talked about that in the early 70s. I never thought I would see the day where creationism and Evoluation would be on the same scale as the religious right want it to be. We must fight that idea or this country is in trouble.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #12)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:23 PM

13. I agree ...

I have no problem with someone's faith, but if they volunteer information that is contrary to their profession, I'm a little weary.

Reply to this post

Response to Fantastic Anarchist (Reply #13)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:59 PM

14. Yes, it is for me too.

I try not to tell the politics to get in the way of my appointment if the doctor is really good.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:47 PM

5. He's at Johns Hopkins (Baltimore). Interesting story.

Looks like he has stayed out of politics up until the Prayer Breakfast, but when he dives in, he really, really dives in.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:56 PM

9. That's the guy I remember at John's Hopkins. Yes he has a good story to tell.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread