HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Texas Public Schools: Sti...

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:41 PM

Texas Public Schools: Still Teaching Creationism

In Texas public schools, children learn that the Bible provides scientific proof that Earth is 6,000 years old, that the origins of racial diversity trace back to a curse placed on Noah's son, and that astronauts have discovered "a day missing in space" that corroborates biblical stories of the sun standing still.

These are some of the findings detailed in Reading, Writing & Religion II, a new report by the Texas Freedom Network that investigates how public schools in the Lone Star State promote religious fundamentalism under the guise of offering academic courses about the Bible. The report, written by Mark Chancey, a professor of religious studies at Southern Methodist University, found that more than half of the state's public-school Bible courses taught students to read the book from a specifically Christian theological perspective—a clear violation of rules governing the seperation of church and state.

Many school districts pushed specific strains of fundamentalism in the classes:

"The Bible is the written word of God," proclaims a slide shown to students in suburban Houston's Klein Independent School District (ISD). Another slide adds: "The Bible is united in content because there is no contradictions in the writing. The reason for this is because that Bible is written under God's direction and inspiration."
A PowerPoint slide in Brenham ISD in Central Texas claims that "Christ's resurrection was an event that occurred in time and space—that is was, in reality, historical and not mythological." (emphasis in original)
In North Texas, Prosper ISD promotes the Rapture, claiming in course materials that "the first time the Lord gathered his people back was after the Babylonian captivity. The second time the Lord will gather his people back will be at the end of the age."

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2013/01/how-texas-public-schools-still-teach-creationism

Population of Texas, 2010: www.google.com/publicdata
25,674,681 - Jul 2011

4 replies, 539 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Texas Public Schools: Still Teaching Creationism (Original post)
DryRain Jan 2013 OP
cbayer Jan 2013 #1
Flashmann Jan 2013 #2
cbayer Jan 2013 #3
Flashmann Jan 2013 #4

Response to DryRain (Original post)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:45 PM

1. There needs to be some serious challenges to the TX school boards and legislature

about this.

They are circumventing the current law and are probably the worst state in the country in terms of promoting creationism.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DryRain (Original post)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:03 PM

2. There's a little story about Texas ed.I'd like to relate....

In the late 60s,my Dad's brother took a job in Ft.Worth and moved his family down there from Champaign,Illinois..At the time my 3 cousins,a girl in 5th grade and twin boys in 3rd grade were just average students,according to my Aunt,each earning respectable As and Bs,occassionally even a C...

Weeks after beginning school in Ft Worth,all three were advanced one grade.....At the end of the first year,there,the school wanted to advance one of the boys yet another grade,but my Aunt declined..

After graduation,all 3 attended University,but not in Texas...My Uncle and Aunt were convinced that each would benefit more by earning degrees from somewhere else,and happily paid the out of state tuitions...The girl attended U of C at Boulder,Colorado,to become a teacher.....One of the boys went to Penn State for business and now owns a chain of stores...The other went to Norman,Oklahoma for oil and gas,and is an executive with an oil exploration company...

All 3 still live in Texas and have kids of their own,now,in college......In other states....

My point is that schools in Texas have been on the intellectually undesirable side for many many years,and look to be getting worse....

Reply to this post

Response to Flashmann (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:08 PM

3. I'm not sure that is unique to the south. It is an epidemic problem

in many parts of the south.

One thing I know about is the problems in New Orleans. People that can, send their kids anywhere but the public schools. That contributes greatly to the decline in public education.

Good for you family for getting their kids out of state for college. It's a good idea wherever you live, imo, though costs can make it impossible.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:16 PM

4. I'm not sure that is unique to the south.

No I don't believe it's unique,now,anywhere...I think education overall,everywhere has been in decline...I think,in all likelihood,the gap has narrowed,due to universal diminishing of quality of what is taught,and how....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread