HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » America's Minority Religi...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:28 PM

America's Minority Religions Take Center Stage

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/common-ground-news-service/americas-minority-religions-take-center-stage_b_2442928.html

Posted: 01/10/2013 12:48 pm

By Tamarra Kemsley

Newtown, Conn. -- First, it was Mitt Romney's campaign for the 2008 presidential bid. Then came The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' "I'm a Mormon" public relations campaign, flooding New York City's Time Square and a dozen other American cities. Next arrived Broadway's "The Book of Mormon" musical. And finally, in 2012 Mitt Romney ran for president again.

Collectively, this time period has been labelled the "Mormon Moment." And for the faith's 14 million members ready to shed their reputation as a non-Christian, polygamy-practicing cult, it couldn't come soon enough.

Mormons, however, weren't the only U.S. religious minority thrust under the limelight during both presidential campaigns.

On-going in both the 2008 and 2012 campaigns were false statements that Barack Obama is Muslim. Islam and Muslims also made headlines in the United States during debates over Rep. Peter King's controversial congressional hearings on Islamic radicalisation and state bills banning the use of Islamic or other non-U.S. legal principles, and the "All American Muslim" television program featuring Muslims in Detroit.

more at link

2 replies, 420 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply America's Minority Religions Take Center Stage (Original post)
cbayer Jan 2013 OP
dimbear Jan 2013 #1
cbayer Jan 2013 #2

Response to cbayer (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:08 PM

1. Very strange use of the phrase 'under the limelight' which is usually a compliment.

Mormonism was under the microscope, and took quite a beating IMHO. If you follow rightwing blogs (only, of course, in weaker moments-we should all really be here!) you know what I'm saying.

BTW, I really like the sound of that 'finally' Mitch Romney ran for president. I can only hope we won't be hearing that again, say in 2017.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dimbear (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:11 PM

2. The author is a BYU graduate and most likely a Mormon.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread