HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » NAACP holds Religious Lea...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 08:32 PM

NAACP holds Religious Leaders Summit in Atlanta

Published Sunday, January 06, 2013
From STAFF REPORTS
religion@newnan.com

The NAACP recently held a three-day National Religious Leaders Summit in Atlanta.

The goal of the meeting was “to help move the faith community back to its long-held leadership role in matters of social justice,” according to Joi Ridley, NAACP spokeswoman. “The religious community has been the backbone of the NAACP in its first 100 years, and that partnership will continue in our second century,” stated Roslyn M. Brock, NAACP chairman.

Brock said the meetings were designed to encourage “engaging faith leaders in discussion around the five Game Changer areas that will guide our social justice agenda for years to come.”

This year’s summit, themed “Moving Us Forward on the Roads to Justice,” included a wide variety of faith traditions and congregations, representing more than 20 million congregants across the country. Speakers include Rev. Roslyn M. Brock, chairman, NAACP Board of Directors; Bishop Dennis Proctor, president, Bishops Council, AME Zion Church; Bishop William Graves, CME Church; Dr. Julius R. Scruggs, president, National Baptist Convention USA, Inc.; Dr. Carroll A. Baltimore, president, Progressive National Baptist Convention; Dr. Stephen Thurston, president, National Baptist Convention of America, Inc.; Rev. Patricia B. Maples, president, National Convocation of the Christian Church; James H. Salley, Black Methodists for Church Renewal; Dr. Mohamed Elsansousi, Islamic Society of North America; Rabbi David Saperstein, director, Religious Action Center of Reformed Judaism; Elder Bernard C. Yates, president, Primitive National Baptist Convention, USA; Rev. Nelson B. Rivers II, NAACP vice president for stakeholder relations; and John Miller, CEO of Denny’s corporation.

http://www.times-herald.com/religion/20121215naacp-religion-MOS

13 replies, 1183 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to rug (Original post)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 08:44 PM

1. Hooray. Time for them to get back on track.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 08:49 PM

2. What are the Game Changer areas?

It's frustrating when an article throws something like that out there and doesn't follow through.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 08:59 PM

3. Here you go:

economic development and entrepreneurship; civic engagement and voting rights; criminal justice; education; health advocacy and environmental justice

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #3)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 09:08 PM

4. That's a pretty good list

Interesting that they all touch at least a little on technology and science and some are mostly that.

Thanks.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #4)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 09:11 PM

6. Yes, it seems pretty forward looking and better than some of their past agendas.

I am particularly interested in seeing faith groups put environmental concerns on their agendas.

Bill Moyers had a great show this week that focused on that to some extent. If you haven't seen it, I think you would really enjoy it.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #6)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 09:26 PM

8. Well, we are supposed to be good stewards if I recall

The Earth does not belong to us, we have only borrowed it from our descendants.

I'm reminded of the Jefferson quote about trembling for his nation when he remembers God is just.

Moyers seems like one of the good guys, I don't always agree with him but I don't always even agree with myself all the time.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #8)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 09:35 PM

10. That's many groups take, including a number of pretty active evangelical groups.

I agree that Moyers is one of the good guys and he gets really good people on is show.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #3)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 09:09 PM

5. You're quick!

Reply to this post

Response to rug (Reply #5)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 09:11 PM

7. I had to look them up as well. Looks like a good list.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 09:32 PM

9. Question: just what has the NAACP ever really done to help African Americans?

Also, just what have all the 'Reverends' done either?

Reply to this post

Response to sleestak smile (Reply #9)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 09:38 PM

11. Well, there was MLK and the civil rights movement to start with.

Perhaps a review of this link would help you.

http://www.naacp.org/pages/naacp-history

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #11)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 10:43 PM

12. He's been nuked.

That will give him some time to read about Thurgood Marshall.

Reply to this post

Response to rug (Reply #12)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 10:46 PM

13. Yeah, he was all over the place taking provocative positions. Good riddance.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread