HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Police officer breached r...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 08:54 PM

Police officer breached religious rights by posing as Obeah man, court hears

Published on Monday December 17, 2012
Peter Small
Courts Bureau

Peel Region police breached the religious rights of a Jamaican Canadian family by having an officer pose as an Obeah spiritual adviser to extract information during a murder investigation, the Court of Appeal will hear Tuesday.

Evol Robinson, his brother Jahmar Welsh, and friend Ruben Pinnock are asking the court to overturn their first-degree murder convictions in the 2004 Brampton shooting of drug dealer Youhan Oraha.

The trial judge, Ontario Superior Court Justice Terrance O’Connor, erred in admitting statements made by Robinson and Pinnock to an undercover constable posing as Leon the Obeah Man, according to their claim.

The evidence was crucial to the Crown’s case against Robinson and Pinnock.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/1303626--police-officer-breached-religious-rights-by-posing-as-obeah-man-court-hears

2 replies, 549 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Police officer breached religious rights by posing as Obeah man, court hears (Original post)
rug Dec 2012 OP
struggle4progress Dec 2012 #1
rug Dec 2012 #2

Response to rug (Original post)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 08:59 PM

1. IMO, that is roughly comparable to posing as a defense lawyer to extract info: that is, a big no-no

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to struggle4progress (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:23 PM

2. I agree.

I don't know the Ontario statute but the clergy privilege is deeply rooted in the common law.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread