HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Religious beliefs cannot ...

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 03:34 PM

Religious beliefs cannot trump right-to-live decisions, Supreme Court told

Kirk Makin
December 10, 2012

The religious beliefs of a vegetative patient on life support cannot be a determining factor in whether or not he is allowed to die, the Supreme Court of Canada was told this morning.

“Doctors must refuse a wish for inappropriate treatment,” Harry Underwood, a lawyer for several doctors caught up in a right-to-live struggle told a seven-judge panel.

“Wishes cannot override the standard of care. The result is the same whether it is a religious belief or a non-religious belief. All wishes deserve the same respect.”

The court panel began a one-day hearing Monday morning into the historic appeal involving end-of-life treatment. It is expected to release a ruling in several months.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/religious-beliefs-cannot-trump-right-to-live-decisions-supreme-court-told/article6145927/

1 replies, 499 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Religious beliefs cannot trump right-to-live decisions, Supreme Court told (Original post)
rug Dec 2012 OP
cbayer Dec 2012 #1

Response to rug (Original post)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 03:46 PM

1. Very tricky and I would not want to be the one to turn off the life support in this case.

I would offer a potential solution, though. Allow the family to take him home on life support and/or make them pay the costs, which are going to be significant.

I do think religious beliefs have sway here, as they often do in complicated hospital cases, but I don't agree that the state is obligated to cover the exorbitant costs of their beliefs in this case.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread