HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Turkey lifts headscarf ba...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 05:14 PM

Turkey lifts headscarf ban in religious schools

By Daren Butler
ISTANBUL | Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:33am EST

(Reuters) - Turkey has lifted a ban on female students wearing headscarves in schools providing religious education, in a move drawing criticism from secularists who see it as fresh evidence of the government pushing an Islamic agenda.

Education has been one of the main battlegrounds between religious conservatives, who form the bedrock of support for Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's AK Party, and secular opponents who accuse him of imposing Islamic values by stealth.

Those secularist fears were fuelled this year when Erdogan said his goal was to raise a "religious youth" and the AK Party, in power for the past decade, pushed through a reform of the education system which boosted the role of religious schools.

Under the latest regulation, announced on Tuesday and going into effect from the 2013-2014 academic year, pupils at regular schools will also be able to wear headscarves in Koran lessons.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/28/us-turkey-headscarf-idUSBRE8AR0JW20121128

3 replies, 603 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Turkey lifts headscarf ban in religious schools (Original post)
rug Nov 2012 OP
cbayer Nov 2012 #1
rug Nov 2012 #2
cbayer Nov 2012 #3

Response to rug (Original post)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 05:22 PM

1. This is confusing and I am surprised there was a ban to begin with.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to cbayer (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 05:26 PM

2. It is confusing and somehow related to the 1980 coup.

Gurkan Avcı, head of the Democratic Educators' Union (DES), said it had removed a legacy of the September 12, 1980 military coup by changing the dress code.

Reply to this post

Response to rug (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 05:51 PM

3. I found Istanbul to be very diverse with women and men expressing and not expressing

religious beliefs by way of clothing all over. But I think things are much different outside the cities.

I really hope they hold on to their religious tolerance and diversity, and don't become extremist.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread